Thread: Dice 'sizes' and quantity

Threaded View

Default Dice 'sizes' and quantity

How is this being dealt with in the ADOM PnP?

As Thomas pointed out (I think) at some point, one of the joyous things about computerised RPG is that you can have dice of any size you like, even dice that would be downright irrational if in a physical form. (d123? Easy!)

And you can roll as many of them as you like at any point. (1000d10, to cite a simple example, would be impossible to do in PnP.)

Also, you can add any modifiers you like to them. (123d123+123!)

With PnP, it's not so easy. Look at AD&D Second Edition (the BEST edition! ) uses d3, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d100 - although d100 is usually resolved by rolling 2 d10's, with one nominated as 'tens' and one nominated as 'units'.

Think of all the mechanics present in ADOM that can't be properly reproduced with that dice-set, and without the benefit of having a computer's powers of mathematics! (Most of them)

Personally, I think the d100 system (for all kinds of skills) is the best, simply because a decimal system is easiest to make sense of.

But I understand that Thomas intends to use d6, because they are the most commonly-available dice. He mentioned in his blog that when he started playing D&D (before I was born! And I am no longer young), they were the only dice available in regional Germany, where he's from.

So, using d6's, how will the PnP system reproduce the ADOM experience?
    Last edited by magpie; 04-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.