Thread: Cut down in his prime

Default Cut down in his prime

Played a DE Archer. Got to bottom of Puppy Cave, although I left the puppy there for now. Found L & N altars on the way. Headed towards Village Dungeon and killed Kranach on the way, picking up a lot of arrows and a couple of bows while doing it. Picked up healing. Through the Small Cave (already scouted) to the stairs and down into Unremarkable Dungeon. Find boots of speed on UD1. There's a mixed vault on UD2 and I kill most of the creatures, finding Cat's Claw on the way. +8 Dex is nice. I am really beginning to like this character even though it's early game.

Then I see a Doppelganger Lord. Don't fancy trying to face him HtH, even with Raven star sign. I have a couple of wands so I thought I'd give them a try. First one brightens the area a bit. Second one is Ball Lightning. I'm in a corridor. Bolt goes through me about 10 times & I end up with practically no equipment and -300 HP.

When will I learn to run away?

I myself am very careful with unIDed wands, but just yesterday was squashed between a Master Swordsman and Troll on the one side and a wolf on the other.

My lvl 10 Rat Wiz was all out of offensive spells. Zap an unIDed wand of ball lightning. Goes straight to the threats killing both.

Very lucky escape.

if not for the wolf I would have run. You would laugh at me if you saw how often I do run.
    Learn to learn.

It's a good idea never to zap-test 4s wands for this very reason.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    It's a good idea never to zap-test wooden 4s wands for this very reason.
    FTFY. 4s metal wands are more or less fine to zap test.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.