Thread: Shopkeeper revenge

Default Shopkeeper revenge

After going through a number of characters of which, the majority of my promising ones get thumped by stone blocks, I rolled a Cup with a long lost brother showing up. I decided to try out a Paladin, a class I never had any real luck with. After rolling what seemed to me to be a very nice Drak Paladin ( 21 St, 16 Le, 16 Wi, 9 Dx 17 To) with enough gear for 10 PV I proceeded to set myself up for an ultra ending. First kill was a beggar, then went to the SMC to set it to lvl 1, got the herbalism quest. First level had a beehive, 3rd had an altar, and I sacced enough to get +Luck. Got to Keethrax and headed out to do the puppy cave. Puppy cave was completed with no problem and headed over to CoC.

At this point I had a metal cap that was [+0, +4] which is unheard of for me, fireproof and waterproof blankets, TWO scrolls of danger (one for GB, other for wilderness), an herb patch in PC:2, and things were going great. In CoC:3 I am come across a small bookshop (actually something like 6 x 6 so very decently sized) and got very excited. Something seemed off though, as in the top right corner of the room there was no book, and in the space below the doorway to the shop was another book! Thinking to myself that I have a free book to grab I pick it up and the shopkeeper blocks the entry to his shop. Not really thinking clearly (isn't that the cause of all stupid deaths?) I walk away not realizing that this was his book spawned outside the shop. A few hits later and I am one dead Paladin.

Long lost brother is such a great thing to see when rolling a new character - I don't have patience to scum for it, but when it comes up I'll settle for a Falcon birthsign.

You see the book outside a book shop, it has a price label, the shopkeeper moves when you pick it up and booms something.

You proceed to kill the PC. Indeed stupid.
    Learn to learn.

Yes - it was 1AM at that point and everything happened so fast. The text was a blur when I picked up the book and when I saw him move my finger was already on the way to the arrow key. I SAW the pricetag but not fast enough to let my brain transfer the command to my fingers to stop.

I can relate, Booster. Perhaps a new fortune cookie message should be added: "they say that adventuring after midnight slows your thoughts"
    "And light there be!"

Glad I read this YASD a few days back.

Encountered a situation where there was a scroll just outside of a shop which I would have automatically just picked up normally. In this instance I checked, noticed the price tag and left it well alone.