Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRR bugs...windows....grrr ! DOS?

Default GRR bugs...windows....grrr ! DOS?

I run into a few Strange errors trying to play Adom with my windows XP. I really dont blame Adom code for anything, my love of windows in very thin. Signal error 291..... wont even run after deleting all files and redownloading, something is jacked somewhere in my XP machine. This is all statement, my question is, well one more statement, my windows knowledge is very limited, but i was a god of DOS back in the 1980's.

how can i get my windows to think like a command prompt, or get my machine to run some thing that will run Adom well, while at the same time let me beloved wife run her windows type stuff?

With love and a wisp of regret for my long lost A>

stillcen

Quote Originally Posted by stillcen View Post
    I run into a few Strange errors trying to play Adom with my windows XP. I really dont blame Adom code for anything, my love of windows in very thin. Signal error 291..... wont even run after deleting all files and redownloading, something is jacked somewhere in my XP machine. This is all statement, my question is, well one more statement, my windows knowledge is very limited, but i was a god of DOS back in the 1980's.

how can i get my windows to think like a command prompt, or get my machine to run some thing that will run Adom well, while at the same time let me beloved wife run her windows type stuff?

With love and a wisp of regret for my long lost A>

stillcen
    - Install linux, then run Windows in virtualbox if need be? Thats what I do. (Side note: I only need windows for some stupid hardware that refuses to work under linux)
    - Alternative version: run windows, and linux in a vmware. Your choice.
    - Or, do it "the windows way" and reinstall. :P
    - Before that, try DosBox.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

What version of adom are you using? DOS? Windows? Try using ADOM Sage: http://kiserai.net/adom/sage/

It runs the linux ADOM in windows afaik.
    ________
    Jaguar Aj-V6 Engine Specifications
    Last edited by sterjs; 02-24-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Dosbox is pretty much the standard Dos emulator out there, great for running any old games that you like.

I would also recommend giving the server a try.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

There's also winbeta. I'd vote for trying ADOM Sage.

Dosbox first, as it's just an emulator. Virtualbox second,
    as it will let you set up a virtual machine. Just set it up,
    install win95, and use the dos prompt from there.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

VM's would be the way to go. Microsoft Virtual PC is free, and works just fine for home use. No idea what issue you're having, never had a problem running ADOM in any version of windows, thats windows 3.x on every version (cept ME) up to Vista. ADOM is probably the most stable and user friendly Roguelike I've ever played.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    VM's would be the way to go. Microsoft Virtual PC is free, and works just fine for home use. No idea what issue you're having, never had a problem running ADOM in any version of windows, thats windows 3.x on every version (cept ME) up to Vista. ADOM is probably the most stable and user friendly Roguelike I've ever played.
    If you want *my* advice, stay away from MS Virtual PC. Both vmware and virtualbox seem to do the job way better, and between the two I'd pick virtualbox any day (as long as I only look at the gratis versions).

Of course thats just my 0,02 euro cents.

Other than that, VM's are not necessarily the way to go, because having a whole OS just for ADOM seems a bit wasteful to me. Takes so long to boot one (at least compared to native adom).
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

> ADOM is probably the most stable and user friendly Roguelike
    > I've ever played.

I say crawl wins that one. My electricity goes out a lot, due to
    living in a rural area, and this kills ADOM games dead. Crawl
    games usually start right back up where they left off, and I've
    never had a crawl game crash on me for any reason. Ever.

VirtualBox is awesome, but like Epythic says, it's a lot of
    overhead to play a roguelike. I did experiment with it though,
    due to Vista giving me the font blues. Luckily though, Dosbox
    came through for me in the end.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    ADOM is probably the most stable and user friendly Roguelike I've ever played.
    I guess you haven't played Crawl(no offense to any ADOM zealots out there!)... it has never crashed on me and I've played it for years. In the rare case that it does crash, it will restart you at the beginning of the dungeon level afaik and if it really screws up you can send it to the dev team to recover your save. Also, the user interface is great, with features like explore, auto-travel, stash searching, resting through poison/sickness/until fully healed, etc, all of which would improve the ADOM experience a lot.

It's a shame that ADOM is closed source... perhaps with a dev team we could see some of the improvements and bugfixes that came to Crawl in the stone soup era. /tangent
    ________
    Rc212V
    Last edited by sterjs; 02-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.