Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRR bugs...windows....grrr ! DOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    ADOM is probably the most stable and user friendly Roguelike I've ever played.
    >>Reactionpic.jpg

Like the others, I'll similarly praise Crawl. Though to be honest, both Angband and Nethack are stable for me.

Honestly, bar Incursion (which is still in development) and DoomRL, ADOM is the least stable Roguelike I've played.

> ADOM is the least stable Roguelike I've played.

I think ADOM 1.0.0 is an extremely stable version.
    You miss out on some things like the talent system,
    but also uber-jackels as well.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > ADOM is the least stable Roguelike I've played.

I think ADOM 1.0.0 is an extremely stable version.
    You miss out on some things like the talent system,
    but also uber-jackels as well.
    Uber-jackal isn't bad IMO. There are maybe two monsters that usually become "uber" for me: chaos servants and ABD's. And only one of them have to be overcome in every game (and that's the lesser problem of the two... extremely exp'd ABD's force many characters to find another way of gaining XP when going for an ultra, and those methods tend to be more dangerous). The reason it was probably named ?ber-jackal is because someone was walking through the wilderness doomed with a slow (melee) character, but when walking through the wilderness I'd mostly go through the forest anyways.

Default thanks

Thanks to all for the nifty advice. I am Proud to say that ADOM is once again being played on my machine.

I find it curious that i get much much better "customer service" from freeware type stuff than anything else.

tak

stillcen

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Uber-jackal isn't bad IMO. There are maybe two monsters that usually become "uber" for me: chaos servants and ABD's. And only one of them have to be overcome in every game (and that's the lesser problem of the two... extremely exp'd ABD's force many characters to find another way of gaining XP when going for an ultra, and those methods tend to be more dangerous). The reason it was probably named ?ber-jackal is because someone was walking through the wilderness doomed with a slow (melee) character, but when walking through the wilderness I'd mostly go through the forest anyways.
    I think the problem is that it's OK to think that you will find more and more powerful chaos servants as you advance in the game (you know, the power of chaos is increasing, and all that). But being killed by an uberjackal just kills immersion, because there is no coherent explanation for it. I don't mind facing difficult challenges, but I don't like facing things that are against logic like that. Uberjackal is a bug (or a very bad feature, if you want to see it that way) for me, because it goes against inmmersion.

In general, level scaling systems seem like a good idea but they have to be implemented very carefully, or they do more harm than good. In fact I think ADOM's level scaling system is the best one I have seen, in spite of uberjackals. Other games have been totally ruined by level scaling, the most blatant example being Oblivion (could be a great game, but it is a piece of crap due to level scaling). I have yet to play fallout 3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcen View Post
    I find it curious that i get much much better "customer service" from freeware type stuff than anything else.
    That might be because "we" do it for fun, and "they" do it because they have to.

And their need to help you goes away the moment you give them their money.

At least that's how I see it.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/