Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P13 questions

Default P13 questions

I just got pre-release access and am trying out playing as a Mist Elf - I love the flavor of the race and limitations of not using iron, but I was hoping some of the veterans could answer a few questions:

1. How do I keep Mist Elves alive? I've gone through maybe 20 of them and 90% of them have died to stone block traps and fireball/door traps - I get past VD and PC with them but low HP and scaling traps make this seem an impossibility. I have no problem with this being a more difficult play-through as they are a challenge race of sorts, just could use some tips

2. Stat training - I love the idea of herb training being caped by the race specific potential; really looking forward to this. My question - how does this affect corpses? I know Ogre corpses train strength up to around 25 (if you are lucky) - does stats being raised to max potential apply only to herbs? if so, how can you raise potentials other than naturally and with potions?

Thanks

I have played one Mist Elf and it too didn't survive for long, so I cannot help you on your first question.

Your second question I can answer. Corpses do not raise potentials. Herbs aren't supposed to, but they still can. Potions and Garth do raise potentials. Also natural training.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    1. How do I keep Mist Elves alive? I've gone through maybe 20 of them and 90% of them have died to stone block traps and fireball/door traps - I get past VD and PC with them but low HP and scaling traps make this seem an impossibility. I have no problem with this being a more difficult play-through as they are a challenge race of sorts, just could use some tips
    Take as many HP talents as you can. You know, the Hardy - Very Hardy - Extremely Hardy talent line, which is usually useless and no one chooses - it's great with Mist Elves. Even taking Tough is not out of the question IMO.

Be very very careful with traps. Don't kick doors when it's not necessary to find the next stairs or your quest goal.

Be extra careful too with monsters using magic - the mist elf damage reduction doesn't apply to magic, usually trivial things like bolts from kobolds can become dangerous.

And anyway, it's not easy. It's quite a challenge to keep a mist elf alive through the early game.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 05-18-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Play a Mist Elf thief

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Play a Mist Elf thief
    Or Bard, and get lucky with skills.

Also be warned that sickness's end may slay you outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    the Hardy - Very Hardy - Extremely Hardy talent line, which is usually useless and no one chooses
    I beg to differ. I always choose these talents and they saved me more than once. You can't ever have too many hitpoints and imho a total of 18 HP is nothing to sneeze at - well worth 3 talents.

On topic, I'm sorry but I have no idea.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

What Mist Elf classes are you playing? They've actually been largely fixed since p7 when it was much harder to keep them alive, by giving them an extra 1 HP per level (makes a huge difference). (and they no longer only give you a staff of creation for crowning, opening up some nice melee classes) Of course, I don't know if the Hardy talent line has been fixed (I believe the HP modifier for mist elves was applied to the talents, making them largely useless), but that doesn't matter because you're definitely not getting Extremely Hardy and you'll be lucky to get Very Hardy. Still, get what you can ASAP.

My suggestion is to play a Mist Elf Barbarian. They [seem] like they'd be a lot of fun. I definitely don't recommend a Mist Elf Beastfighter because they level far too slowly to output enough damage in the mid-game.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Went through 15 or 20 Mist Elves (mostly to stone block traps or trap doors) before getting a bit luckier, and learning what not to do. My latest Mist Elf Assassin was doing great, cleared VD and PC, got to Dwarftown and had 20 PV or so. With Morgia roots and a few potions of increase potentials I got his Toughness to 17. Was midway into lvl 13 with 60 hitpoints (after taking the Hardy talent for +3 more HP) and on D:11 while looking for a crystal statue to slay a lightening vortex exploded and brought me from full health to -3! They are an interesting race to play, but the game is really unforgiving with them - I had some good gear with them but the iron limitation is a real killer when it comes to rings/amulets/bracers - I can only hope that not too many artifacts are made of iron.

It almost sounds as if earliest Fate Smiles is a must for mist elves, to avoid these type of deaths.
    Learn to learn.

They really need resistances / immunities, I guess.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.