Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ADOM 1.2.0 Prerelease 14

Quote Originally Posted by Aeronic View Post
    Wow.

This graphical update is brilliant, the music is excellent, and thanks to NotEYE, I can explore ADOM in first person. Are there eventually going to be animated tiles, like monsters and such? It wouldn't be necessary to enjoy the game, but it would certainly make it feel more alive

Great job Team ADOM, my Kickstarter money was very well spent here!
    Thanks, that's really really great to hear

About animation: It's beyond the scope of this campaign. As for the future - can't say for sure at this point. What is certain is that we'd love to breathe a bit more life into ADOM and we've been discussing ways to go about it. But there's a lot to consider and there's always a chance that it might not happen. I suppose a lot depends on the kind of feedback graphical ADOM pre14+ recieves.

Exploring all of the graphical setup options might take a while, just to get things looking great and working in a way that suits my "unique" way of attacking the keyboard in random ways

Enjoying the music too. It adds something to the mix.

Some screenshots for those that haven't tried it out yet:
    adom.jpgadom1stperson.jpg

And how I like to play my ADOM:
    20130526_205733.jpg

I just downloaded the latest prerelease... it's awesome! And after a couple minutes of play, I even got my first funny message: "You are drowning! You feel very self-confident."

Playing with tiles is a little confusing because you don't get the full display, but it's so nice to see the world of Ancardia taking life! By the way, was Pick Pockets changed recently? I cleaned out at least 30/40 monsters and Yergius is still demanding more practice. I guess you need to actually steal stuff now to become a member of the Guild...
    You feel excited. You die.

Quote Originally Posted by Dervi View Post
    I guess you need to actually steal stuff now to become a member of the Guild...
    Yep. Easier said than done, but it is doable.

I have played multiple games for a few hours and had a blast. The tiles look awesome and the music and ambient sounds are very impressive. Here is my feedback and suggestions thus far:

-When in a dark room, the tiles once explored do not indicate with shading or anything else that the tiles are dark. If you find an item, you can see by it's tile what it is. If you find a staircase, it stays visible, but doesn't appear on the minimap.
    -I would like to be able to adjust the size of the mini-map or even have a key-press to full-screen it.
    -Some items(potions, rings, etc.) were hard to see due to being very small, especially if they were next to a wall at the bottom of a room and shaded by a wall.
    -There is an intermittent bird chirping sound on the world map and in Terrinyo that is way louder than other background ambiance.
    -The outdoor map areas play combat music even if you enter it manually(not ambushed) to read a spellbook or heal.
    -The character tile still has a weapon even when disarmed.
    -I had a bit of trouble distinguishing monsters of the same family such as fire lizard/karmic lizard goblin/goblin chieftain etc.
    -When you look at a large stack of items, the "camera" view jumps off the screen until you hit a key to answer the (more) prompt.
    -Missile attacks and spell attacks are too slowly animated.
    -Torches on the walls still glow in dark rooms.
    -Overall the game felt a bit sluggish compared to ascii.

-Not related to tiles, I got the black tome on a lawful dwarf priest as my first gift which corrupted the crap out of me. Should this be a lawful gift?
    -Seemed to be getting an unusually high number of rivers in my games. Maybe it was bad luck.

SUGGESTIONS:
    -I am sure it is planned, but show the correct weapon type when wielded.
    -Change the facial expression or stance of the character tile for the various tactics settings.
    -Add a running water sound when near a dungeon river. Maybe an intermittent dripping ambiance when further away.
    -Add a harp strum or other sound when you get a gift from your god.(maybe harp for lawful and drums for evil)
    -Gradient outline the screen or otherwise use the interface to better indicate when you are bleeding or have another status effect. With color tiles you can miss the colored word at the bottom left. Maybe put mini-status icons on the character tile.

Thanks for the awesome update, i'll add more feedback and suggestions as I play more!
    Last edited by purge; 05-26-2013 at 11:49 PM.

I played one life so far, trying out the new shiny graphical coolness. I definitely have an issue with some of the stuff purge saw, namely: sluggish missiles, sluggishness overall.

Beyond that, my health bar, though full, turned red inexplicably. It was while I was hungry, so I figured it must be that, but then the bar turned green, I got Hungry!, and it didn't turn red at all after that. Does a red health bar mean something? Or was this a graphical glitch.

My character died to a large orc. If only I'd known it was a LARGE orc, I wouldn't have sat there trading blows as a wizard expecting to live handily. :\ Just something to get used to with the graphics I guess.

Have you tried setting your Base_Delay to 0. In the config file.

Sounds like the bar changing colour is a warning. If not, it would be cool. For me it would be more practical if the mini-map changed colour, that is where my focus lies most of the time.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 05-27-2013 at 07:08 AM.
    Learn to learn.

Guys, I'd be very grateful for some hints on customisation.

I'm on Windows, and I'd like to play full-screen and see the whole level at the same time, like I remember doing it during the gamma stage years ago :-)

But:

1. The ASCII version: I'm unable to resize the window and Alt-Enter does not work.

2. The NotEye version: I just don't see the way to do it, I always end up only seeing a part of the level. I may be missing some options. Could someone give me a hint on this?

Alt-Enter or Ctrl-m f for full screen. Ctrl-m m p for ascii mode. These are for the noteye versions.

Mini-tile and double-mini tile will make you see more of the level if you want to explicitly play in the tile modes.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 05-27-2013 at 08:28 AM.

I've been playing several games and the tiles are awesome. In fact, the fact I played several games is quite a feat - in roguelikes with tiled and ASCII mode, I typically try the tiles out of curiosity for a game and then switch to ASCII mode instantly. I think in ADOM I'll also end up playing mostly in ASCII in the long run (simply because you can see what's going on in the whole map at once) but at least these tiles are beautiful and make it an enjoyable experience to play with them, and the same can be said about the music!

Some subjective suggestions (for objective things, I use the issue tracker):

- The level-up melody feels a bit anticlimactic to me. It is a calm, tranquil melody. Since levelling typically happens in combat (and often happens when killing really tough monsters, which are the ones that give more XP), it feels a bit out of place to me to hear that at those moments. I'd expect something more glorious, more on the style of a military fanfare or similar.
    - When you open a tension room, the music is awesome. Unlike the level-up melody, this one really builds up the emotion! But it would be great if it were a bit longer, so that you have combat-themed music while you clear the tension room.
    - NotEye will let me choose fonts and resolutions, but not all the resolution options work well, and maybe it's me but I haven't found a way to take advantage of my 1600x1200 desktop monitor, or of my 1920x1080 laptop monitor satisfactorily. For example on the desktop, everything displays rather beautifully with the default font but that produces an 800x600 resolution. I'd like to see the tiles half size, so that I can see them with the same definition at 1600x1200 and double my sight range. But if I choose "half size" in the font menu, the UI layout goes haywire and the minimap displays on top of the PC. And if instead I try to choose the resolution, there is no 1600x1200 or similar option. Only a bunch of resolutions and somewhat outdated IMHO (having a 1600x1200 monitor is now much more common that 800x600, let alone 320x200!) More and larger resolutions, please! (in fact I may make an RFE, since this is not so subjective).
    - A grey small shield against the grey dungeon floor doesn't stand up too much.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 05-27-2013 at 08:07 AM.