Thread: Possibility of releasing Noteye compatible ARM binary of PRE14 (and NotEye source)

Default Possibility of releasing Noteye compatible ARM binary of PRE14 (and NotEye source)

Was just wondering if it would be possible to release ADOM pre-release 14's binary for RaspberryPI without the NotEye integrated (the one with hooks for NE though, like telling it which item sprite to render 2+ blocks away etc). I am running the text only Raspbian binaries natively with a lot of success on N900, seeing OpenGL in the windows version, this might turn to be impossible in future releases (only GLES hw-supported, so would get <1fps using some software GL rendering ala mesa), but I had some success building SDL versions of NotEye on the device, so if ADOM binary with all the needed hooks for NE would be available this might lead to fully functional graphical version (seeing my laptop struggling/lagging a bit, I doubt it, but hey, worth a try).

Thanks in advance

I've tried to run ADOM with NotEye integration on the Raspberry Pi... not much fun (IMHO unplayable), even in ASCII mode without the tiles. I did not have enough time to check for reasons... maybe OpenGL might help. I'll see if I can build a version you can use... but it'll take some time.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

PI as most ARM devices only supports GLES, so unless the above was a typo OpenGL will definitely not help. SDL version might run decent in comparison.
    From http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs :
    What SoC are you using?

The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating point, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.

(GL->GLES rewrite is not trivial in most cases, though can be done as GLES is a subset. It would either need NE to go GLES (which would be beneficial in NE adoption btw for android/iOS etc), or just having SDL version of NE integrated with ADOM for mobile devices)
    Last edited by szopin; 05-27-2013 at 08:23 PM.

With "OpenGL" I meant activating the OpenGL mode of NotEye. I didn't know the Pi only had GLES... so this won't work right now.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Thanks for looking into it Jochen.

p.s. btw, one of tricky/strange bugs in SDL on N900 (might be only in N900 sdl implementation, not sure, but in case it's for whole ARM architecture thought I'd mention it) SDL_WM_SetIcon causes no window focus, so while display works and refreshes no clicking/pointer type actions work. Commenting it out/removing fixes it. Just in case it behaves similarly in Rasp