Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jelly's Adventures in Nethack (unspoiled)

You should play Brogue, much better game. Sil is pretty cool too, for a *band.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

After I finish NetHack in a couple weeks maybe I'll try some of these other games
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Character 10: Theta the Elf Wizard

Had a decent start to this one: spellbook of extra healing, force bolt, plus a ring of searching that was somewhat handy for finding the many fairly obscurely located secret doors in this game. General shop on the third level which I used to sell spare gear and buy a few extra books. Fourth level of the dungeon had very erratic danger level. Cleared it once no problem; when I came back from shopping a second time, there was a big group (maybe 5-10 of each) of hill orcs and Mordor orcs wandering around, plus a few other strong monsters like a gnome king and a gold golem. Maybe it was some sort of special event that I missed, dunno. I managed to kill most of these, but a nasty centaur got me in the end. I also apparently got level drained or something at some point, I think, since my high score claims I was level four with a maximum of six. Wizards seem pretty good in this game except for the really dreadful PP regeneration rates you get--maybe 1 point every 5-10 turns or so. Much slower than the base healing rate.

Character 11: Iota the Monk

One of my best characters so far. Started with a healing book, which is nice. An early shop added detect monsters, which was somewhat useful (and usable, unlike a lot of spells I find). Decided against doing the Gnome mines right away and instead descended a bit. Ran into an Oracle on level 6--the temple area I had seen before--who charges 50... gold (zomwoeifs?) for a fortune cookie message. Alright. Lots of monsters around. I think that this game's equivalent of a threat room is a random spawn of a dozen or so monsters of the same type. Descended quite far on the main dungeon path. Got to about level 8 when I found a stairs going back up. Investigated and found an interesting area. There were several rooms full of boulders and a large number of pits around. You have to work the boulders around each other to push them into the pits without getting any stuck. Kind of neat. Finished the first room of that, ascended, and found a second similar boulder puzzle. Unfortunately, as I was working, two fire ants spawned. Nasty things do lots of damage and set you on fire, which further drains your health and burns up your equipment. Wasn't able to kill them and was eventually overcome. I died in Sokoban dungeon level 5 (whatever that is), with 7411 points, advancing to level 8. He had 108 kills.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 06-08-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Character 12: Kappa the Valkyrie

Explored the first couple levels. Found an altar, but I don't know if you can sacrifice or if there's anything else fancy to do with altars besides status ID--the command list doesn't seem to have a command for it. Found a crystal plate armor that was very, very nice and dropped my AC to -3. Descended a couple more levels. Ran into a big group of Uruk-hai that I was able to kill with little difficulty, then came across a room full of leprechauns with cash. I know leprechauns pickpocket, so I dropped all my gold, killed them one at a time adding to my stash each time. I tried eating a leprechaun corpse, which gave me teleportitis, and got randomly teleported into a hidden room with a guard in it, who demanded that I leave all of my cash behind in exchange for letting me out. Fortunately, I had left most of my gold elsewhere, so it only cost me maybe 200. I cleared the rest of the leprechauns and teleported around the next level or two until I ran into something called a mumak. I guess I wasn't watching my health very well, and he just slaughtered me.

Kappa the Valkyrie died in the Dungeons of Doom level 7 with 10824 points after 3688 moves. She advanced to level 8.

Given your HP issues - wouldn't it be about time spoil/explore (E)ngraving?

at least figure out how to sac. I remember figuring it out unspoiled though (iirc, it was a decade ago afterall).
    It was with a valkarie that I did best, and only because I found an altar and sacced my way to a one-hander.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."