Thread: gear

Default gear

how come i cannot wear or wield some equipment i have picked up?
    does it require some sort of prior identification first?

I'd guess it's because the gear was not the right size; it's not necessary to identify items before equipping them.

You can only wear headgear, body armor, bracers, gauntlets, boots, and missile weapons of your size. You can wear cloaks of your size or one size smaller. You can wield weapons of your size or smaller and one-handed weapons one size larger. Amulets and rings aren't restricted by size.

Sizes in increasing order: tiny, small, medium, large, huge, colossal, gargantuan. Gnomes and hurthlings are small, trolls are large, and all other races are medium.

Only now I realise a troll could wield a huge one-handed weapon, if they can be found at least. That would be so awesome.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I haven't tested this extensively, but it seems like the difference between large and huge is much less significant than the difference between large and medium. A medium great club does 1d10+2, a large great club 2d15+4 (more than twice medium!), and a huge great club does 2d20+6. The current bug with different sized weapons makes it hard to test in 0.3.2.