Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Section 2.4 says: "Bottom line: *never* bring sis into the ID".

I think using "never" here is a bit of an overstatement. I regularly bring sis into the ID with my wizards with Strength of Atlas, and not only I haven't ever had any problems with that, but the replicating effect is quite desirable as I get back from the ID with a lot of sacrificial fodder. I have also taken sis into the ID with other chars sometimes (without Strength of Atlas) and it's OK if you don't dive too deep and keep a close eye on them.

I would say: "Bottom line: never bring sis into the ID unless you have plenty of excess carrying capacity (for example, as provided with the Strength of Atlas spell)". Or something like that.
    Or sell them for gold in Waldenbrook's and then use that for a (pre)crown. Which is faster, by the way?. In the ID you can always just read a blessed scroll of identify and drop all the dodgy stuff you've been picking up (studded leather armour, shell armour, thick furs, rations). I always pick up everything I find in there, so that when in need of carrying capacity, I can start dropping the useless ones. That moment is also a good warning that it's time to take notice of the si pile in your backpack and perhaps head back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    0.4.3 Training skills:
    Survival is trained even if it is not used. I think simply walking in wilderness trains this skill.
    It is used for avoiding wilderness encounters, which is why walking across the wilderness trains it.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Which is faster, by the way?
    This is one of my long-standing doubts. I usually sell half and directly sac the other half, so that at least I don't get the worst deal. But it would be nice if someone knew which is better (and a nice GB addition, too).

I usually check what price shopkeepers offer to me. If it isn't good, then I sacrifice them, if not, I sell them and sac the money.

Appendix J - Monsters:
    Quickling bard (Filk) casts also teleportation and curses items.

Quote Originally Posted by sterjs View Post
    Re: Section 2.11

I suggest that the Assassin's Cave should be emphasized as an early/early-mid game destination. A mention of the cave to the following effect "A PC with magic mapping or item detection should consider a detour to the Assassin's Cave to obtain the guaranteed wand of teleportation." I also suggest that the Assassin's Cave section be located earlier than the Barbarian Glade section.
    I had to make some arbitrary decisions as to what early, mid and late means. Early is east of the wilderness river. Mid is before the wall of flames. Late is after the wall of flames. The order is pretty much irrelevant.

Caught up with the rest.
    Last edited by Andy Williams; 06-29-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

A small addition to appendix J:

Eating minotaur corpses trains perception. In my experience, this is often enough to get a stat increase at low levels.

on the altar section there is said that small sacrifices move alignment towards the altar. I tested this a bit and noticed no difference between 1 gp and 100 except that with 100gp the altar will change alignment at some point.

You can probably get a lvl 50 char with C alignment into L with one altar if 1gp is sacced repeatedly, I haven't tried this though.

Getting from C- to L+ would be very simple, even with lvl 50 char, by just saccing 1gp until L and then whipping your char from L to L+. I've whipped chars from N- to L+ quite a few times and it's quite an easy way to get the proper alignment for ULE.

EDIT: Strength can be trained to 24 with -any- frost giant corpse and probably also with fire giant(king?) and stone giant lord. Hill giants can only train str to 18 if i remember right. Can someone verify this?
    Last edited by johonka; 07-01-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Except that altars often convert after low, low amounts of gold at that point. Really low.

Strength can go as high as 19 by eating humble ogres, so I believe hill giants should be able to take you into the lower-mid 20's.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!