Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Quote Originally Posted by quik View Post
    In the section 3.10 The Mana Temple, I'd add a prerequisite to the list: some means of see invisible.
    Lure him to the corridor and you don't need to see invisible to know where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Lure him to the corridor and you don't need to see invisible to know where he is.
    I still wouldn't know exactly where he is (without using exploits).
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Why you need to know his exact position?
    If you want to melee just push against him and you will surely notice when you're next to him.
    If you are bolting him you will not see any difference.
    And when using missiles you can always target behind him and missiles will hit if he's on the way.

It's not an exploit to deduce where invisible people are located from outside factors and strategic thinking - that's how the plans of invisible-superpowered people in basically any movie or book that has one are foiled. Even if you did the idiotic and ended up in the middle of giant masses, it will be simple enough to discover the one spot that seems to be empty in the midst of them all.

Seeing invisible is handy, but not essential.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Of only life was turn-based....

...i would become invincible!

I think by exploit he was referring to the naming thing to determine a monster's position. Otherwise it's impossible to judge an invisible enemy's exact opinion. Whilst there are ways of dealing with this it is still extremely helpful to know precisely where the guy is. Even with corridors you need to know if he has moved next to you or not, and preferably before he drains half your stats. Mana Temple isn't always an easy fight, and there's no need to make it even harder by having difficulty locating the main boss.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Otherwise it's impossible to judge an invisible enemy's exact opinion.
    There is no way to read monsters' minds in ADOM.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

"Not always possible" is not the same as "impossible"... This is not to say that it isn't preferable to be able to see invisible, just that it is nowhere near as important as being death ray resistant or bringing a light source for that matter.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I'd say having means of see invisible is more important than having humanoid slaying ammo, which is stated as recommended. So I'd list that in there too. Besides, the guide should be useful for beginners and there is no need for a beginner to do the Mana Temple without +SeeI intrinsic imo.
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

In "4.3.1.3.1 The Emperor Moloch", I'd say that the Emperor is vulnerable to humanoid slaying ammo as well.