Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Humanoid slaying ammo is very useful to actually kill the Chaos Archmage, +SeeI is only used to locate him. Can't really compare the two...

The guidebook should definitely mention that Invisibility is among the spells that he likes to cast, and that being able to see invisible is recommended if only to spare the player headaches, and possibly mention that the ancient mummy wrapping provides both intrinsics.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I just did the mana temple without +SeeI (stupidly outleveled the pyramid and killed a single cat), and it definitely didn't help - I did farslaying to activate him (big mistake - worst way I've ever done the temple that still succeeded) and couldn't tell where he was, when he was getting close. He came right up on me out of nowhere. I also only had Nonnak for death resistance(no amulets), so it was dangerous.

So I'd definitely recommend it, just not require it.

Killing the Eternal Guardian is extraordinarily chaotic. A recent PC of mine (level 22 at the time) went from N+ to C- after killing just one Guardian. This could be quite a nasty surprise for crowned PCs trying to get some extra experience.

[edit] This was also in melee.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 08-23-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

The chaos seems to depend on exactly how you kill him. A recent hurthling killed him 8 times with slung rocks, and never even reached LN (losing about 400 stones per kill). When I do it in melee, the loss is much more dramatic; the first kill with my N= troll resulted in C and fallen champion.

I haven't tested killing EG but I think it depends on your current alignment how big the drop will be (and possibly nothing else).
    I have noticed that the alignment drop caused by eating ratling warlord corpse and killing beggar varies but it depends only on your current alignment. For example when alignment was 4451 before killing beggar or eating a corpse, the drop was always exactly 345 stones (and the highest drop seems to be 1000 which happens at some certain intervals).

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    The guidebook should definitely mention that Invisibility is among the spells that he likes to cast, and that being able to see invisible is recommended if only to spare the player headaches, and possibly mention that the ancient mummy wrapping provides both intrinsics.
    I agree. It has been added.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

I've killed the eternal guardian with a N= wizard and only dropped to N-. Used spells of course, which I think makes a very big difference. Melee always seems to be the most chaotic way to act.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Yeah, my recent wizard killed him twice with acid balls. He was crowned neutral and I don't remember the exact alignment drop that he got, but for sure he didn't go lower than N-.

How about merging the sections 0.1.3 (Races and classes, sub special considerations) and 0.14.11 (tips and tricks, sub undocumented character abilities)?

As it is, IMO it is somewhat confusing since there are some undocumented abilities in 0.1.3 and also some special class features in 0.14.11 that you would expect to find in "Races and classes". More importantly, when I want to analyse the benefits of different classes, I need to browse back and forth between these sections to make sure I do take everything into account.

Further, neither of the two sections mentions that monks have halved food consumption, or did I miss it? Also, monks can write scrolls without losing mana which can be quite nice.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Most classes can pretty safely write scrolls as long as they bless their writing set.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!