Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Even scrolls of chaos resistance? I'm confused now (but not stunned).

EDIT: from the guidebook:
    Be aware that the cost for writing scrolls of chaos resistance is high - there is a permanent loss of two or three mana points for wizards, apparently depending on the blessed vs uncursed status of the magical writing set.The mana cost for non-wizards is significantly higher, ten mana points is typical.In addition, any combination of a blessed MWS with an uncursed blank scroll or an uncursed MWS with a blessed or uncursed blank scroll will result in a loss of hitpoints.
    What I meant was: monks do NOT lose any mana when writing SoCR, as I read somewhere else and also can confirm from personal experience.

I have to add that this was a level 50 monk with literacy and concentration at 100, do not know for sure about less experienced monks.

EDIT 2: a tip that is *maybe* worth mentioning is that the scrolls of the ratling rebel are good for something if you need lots of blank scrolls - just dip a large stack of blessed pamflets into plain water.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 08-25-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

My elementalist only lost 1 points of mana per scroll when using a blessed writing set several times. Perhaps there are some other factors at work.

As for making blank scrolls, I personally always find myself swimming in useless scrolls like treasure creation and great identify.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

My level 48 elementalist or so lost four points of Mana per scroll of education wrote (blessed set, blessed scrolls). (I think I got several Pick Pockets increases, Pick locks and... I think, Gardening. I liked my mana score )
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

A very minor update
    Yrruir, the Greater White Unicorn is actually a girl, but she is referred to as "he" in the guidebook.
    Waves of power and Law radiate from this magnificent beast. Her coat glitters as if sprinkled with diamond dust. She moves with grace, speed, and purpose, occasionally breaking into a gallop so fast she seems to be here one moment, and somewhere else the next.

Quote Originally Posted by rami View Post
    A very minor update
    Yrruir, the Greater White Unicorn is actually a girl, but she is referred to as "he" in the guidebook.
    Thanks, I never thought to check that in the MM. Very interesting, since females have traditionally been those capable of interacting peacefully with unicorns.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Appendix F, Books and Scrolls, should mention that cursed scrolls of balance do not reveal your alignment correctly. They have somewhat of an error. For details and verification: http://www.adom.de/forums/showpost.p...96&postcount=7

Appendix J - Monsters:
    Great white wyrm:
    - Are not vulnerable to fire. This could be a bug but they just aren't vulnerable...
    - Stat drains
    - Confuses
    - Magic missile
    - Typo: "regenss"

Great blue wyrm:
    - Confuses
    - Magic missile
    Last edited by Sami; 08-30-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Additional info about wyrms

Appendix A: "A couple of days after this was all figured out, a level 50 PC on D: 50 found an amulet the cold heart {Ch-16}. It was dropped by a great wyrm. So it seems that the +/- 3 is only a very good guide to amulets, not an ironclad rule."

The +/-3 rule effects not only amulets, but all items, including weapons and armor. Not only that, but it IS an ironclad rule - at least at low danger levels.

I tested the difference by wishing 100,000 times for Bracers of Toughness on D:1, then 100,000 times on DH:2.

The major differences in the results:

D1: Bracers ranged from +1 to +7 - within the +/-3 rule.
    DH2: Bracers ranged from +1 to +11 - not within the +/-3 rule.

D1: ~15% of bracers generated were variations, that is, not the typical +4.
    DH2: ~30% of bracers generated were variations, that is, not the typical +4.

Of course, testing with different items and methods of generation is required, but I think it is fairly safe to say that while below a certain danger level, the +/-3 rule is completely ironclad.

In appendix F, talking about the scroll of item creation, you say that "Creation of an artifact has been observed twice; chances are probably ~0.1%".

My tests show that that the chance of an artifact being generated here is roughly the same as by any other means; say by a surge of power or monster drop.
    However, bear in mind that, like all items, random artifacts do have a required danger level for generation, so you aren't going to find the Bracers of War by reading a scroll on D:1.

(Of course, there is an exception to that rule when pre/post crowning, as any random artifact can be generated there, regardless of the current danger level)

If you want to make mention it, my tests have been to read 50,000 scrolls of item creation on each dungeon level, starting with D:1. I'm so far down to D:5, and have found around 6 artifacts - can't remember specifically what ones but I do have it recorded.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Gut is behind the times. Soirana did some testing (not that you're allowed to use his stuff in the GB, but you are allowed to use Grey's ) .It's at http://skillguide.blogspot.com/ .Here's the relevant extract:
    just when i thought i could not despise that book further more...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

That skillguide referred to is definately Soirana's. Characteristic writing style. So no good saying it is Grey's. It is Soirana's and don't add his stuff if he doesn't want to. Respect the wishes.

Anyway, this kind of info is far too detailed for the guidebook. Guide-book. Guide to the game, for new and intermediate players. Experts who really need to know the nuts and bolts of everything can go to the wiki, when it gets finished.

Besides, not hard for anyone (else) who wants to, to research and learn more about any skills.

> despise that book

You despise it? Because it has some errors in it? Didn't you use it when you were learning the game? Wasn't it helpful? A good GUIDE? Now you're an elite player you know enough that the guide isn't, and can't be correct in every way. So what. It's a guide.

> Rumourbook

Now I'd call that immature. Treat it like Axe. Don't use it if you don't mean it.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health