Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    To be honest, I just haven't tested it--I know it happens, but I don't know the specifics. I'll see if I have a lawful character kicking around with some herbs, a whip, and good piety, and will get back to you about this.

[edit]Tested this. It's extremely unreliable. With a crowned character at very close, I whipped the character hundreds of times and had it happen only a few times--I'd guess maybe 1% probability. You get the message "You feel remorse. You feel lifted of the dark spirits devouring your health."
    I think whips are the most reliable and fastest way to gain alignment, especially if you are still relatively low level (below 40-45). To make it work you need to drop your PV as down as possible (preferably to negative values to gain best effect) and start whipping with whip with as good damage die as possible (whip of slaughtering > whip of the snake > normal whip).

When whipping self the damage die of the whip are thrown and your PV is reduced from this. The constant damage modifier of the is ignored. If the result is negative, it has no effect (just gives message to you to get rid off some protection or says you are really touch).

For example when using whip of the snake (5d2+7) and you have PV of 3, you'll do MAX(5d2-3, 0) damage to self (4,5 on average).
    If you have PV of 28 and use whip of slaughtering (1d30+3), you'll do MAX(1d30-28, 0) damage to self, which means you need to get 29 or 30 from dice roll to gain any effect. In this case probability to gain any effect is only 6,7% and even then maximum damage you can inflict is 2.

Wouldn't a whip of penetration be the best of all? Guaranteed, yet low damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I think whips are the most reliable and fastest way to gain alignment, especially if you are still relatively low level (below 40-45). To make it work you need to drop your PV as down as possible (preferably to negative values to gain best effect) and start whipping with whip with as good damage die as possible (whip of slaughtering > whip of the snake > normal whip).
    This wasn't for changing alignment. It was for curing sickness. I had a PV of 1 (from crowning) and was using a whip of slaughtering. Just about every hit was counting toward alignment, but only ~1% would cure sickness.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

There is a new table in section 0.13.7 re: robbing shops. If anyone can correct or fill in blanks, please post.
    Last edited by Andy Williams; 06-17-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

About fire temple, Soiranas work on the ToEF guide (from the other forum) has some good info for this section. http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/mess...ge=1&tmp=60716

You should include the ADOM guides in "other online resources about ADOM"

http://adomguides.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Darkness:
    gut's stuff is all in, including a new section 0.14.0 re: Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    About fire temple, Soiranas work on the ToEF guide (from the other forum) has some good info for this section. http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/mess...ge=1&tmp=60716

You should include the ADOM guides in "other online resources about ADOM"

http://adomguides.blogspot.com/
    Will look re: ToEF. ADOM Guides is in. Incidentally, the URL to the GB is incorrect on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    About fire temple, Soiranas work on the ToEF guide ...
    You should include the ADOM guides
    Just to clear things finally i would be very glad if any work of mine in any form[ToEF guide and class guides written by me in particular] would not be included in anything that guidebook is trying transform into...

Thank you in advance.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Urban legend. I did it, got "Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!" and according to a later potion of insight, no resistance was given.
    Maybe it's random?
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

I remembered the story with the PoCC and it's effect when thrown, so I decided to make some tests with potions. So, here's some results (wished for stuff, used blessed stethoscope), which can be probably used by bards in order to make pets stronger (however, throwing non-healing potions make them hostile ) or just to understand, how actually is ADoM cool - and believe me, I was totally amused to find different and funny messages for effects.

Not all monsters yield a special message, for some it's just nothing happens (for example !ofYouth at undead)

Code:
    St and To - +20/10/0 HP B/U/C (*foo* seems to be getting stronger/weaker)
    Dx - nothing (*foo* suddenly moves with more grace/less grace)
    Ap - nothing (*foo* suddenly appears more beautiful/uglier)
    Ma - nothing (*foo* suddenly is surrounded by a mystical aura/appears to be somewhat boring)
    Le - nothing (*foo* cunningly/foolishly stares at you)
    Ch - nothing (*foo* suddenly smiles/frowns)
    Wi - nothing (*foo* looks harden/soften)

Trool Blood, Boost -stat- and Gain Attribute- +5/+3/+1 hp B/U/C (*foo* seems to grow stronger/weaker (but actually hp is increased)).
    Potential -stat- - the same as -stat-.
    Quickling blood - speed is increased/decreased, numbers are probably the same as for the PC.
    Youth - nothing (*foo* looks younger/older)
    Deafness - nothing (*foo* rubs his ears)
    Longevity - nothing (*foo* appears to be more/less vigorous)
    Sickness - nothing - that is dissapointing! (*foo* looks somewhat green)
    Potion of raw mana - invis/invis/blindness B/U/C - looks like it works as !ofInvis - strange
    Insight - nothing - *foo* suddenly seems to smile - not a slightest idea about the meaning :D
    Wonder - confuses (!)
    Orange juice - nothing *foo* is covered with an orange liquid :D
    Uselessness - absolutely nothing happens - that's quite funny =)
    Training/education - *foo* suddenly appears more learned/less learned
    Stun recovery - nothing (it doesn't help them to recover from stunning btw - tested with a wand of stunning) - *foo* calms down/doesn't seem to be happy!
    Oil/oil of rust removal - nothing (even for rust monsters) - you oil *foo* :D
    Balance - nothing - *foo* calms down - which it doesn't actually
    Cure Poison - nothing happens
    Didn't test others - they're obvious (confusion, blindness, poison)...
    Potions of literacy bounces off monsters and it makes it "softly" (really, it's the message, not my imagination =) )
    My desired idea about monsters choking whilst paralyzed and sickened didn't work - what a pity...