Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Blessed rings of the fish are not 100% reliable; I just got the message "You are drowning!" while wearing one. I was in the water dragon cave as a fresh fallen champion, so cursed, doomed, and not lucky or fate.

It could be related to the dooming then... More testing while you're at it? Get rid of cursedoom and return?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    It could be related to the dooming then... More testing while you're at it? Get rid of cursedoom and return?
    Even cursing is enough to cause that. I've seen it myself. There's some more exact, code-dived info available on ToGu's site, if anyone wants to see the exact stuff. As it was uncovered pre-ban it might be include-able, especially since we could simply grind out the same results by using a char with no swimming, a karmic, a helm of water breathing, a ring of the fish, an armor of the sea and some holy water. Anyhow, an addition along the lines of 'beware of items which allow you to not sustain drowning damage without granting the water breathing intrinsic, as they are affected positively/negatively by luck/cursing" might be enough. However, this might need to be put in lots of places in the GB: Dungeon features - rivers , Intrinsics, WDL. I can personally attest to getting drowning damage every ~5 turns whilst wearing a blessed ring of the fish and being cursed, not doomed, not lucky or with fate smiling upon me.

Here are the 'tainted' results:
    Code:
    Chance not to drown = items+luck-curse
    where items = {ring of the fish, armor of the sea} give (100%,80%,60%)
    waterbreathing fully bypasses this
    Last edited by Jack the Ripper; 09-10-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Sorry to double-post, but this is totally unrelated to my previous post. In light of the recently resurrected TH-wars, it might be best to include some sort of warning that its usefulness is debatable, give it a varying grade from very low to very high similar to Heir, perhaps direct people towards checking the official Adom forum for more info on that, maybe saying something about the thread-title, to ensure they find it effortlessly should they choose to search the forums.

On a more general note, you may also suggest simply picking some prerequisite talents which can only be chosen on PC creation without IMMEDIATELY following through on the talents thus opened up. For example choosing Alert and X and Y on start-up, thus opening the TH line for later whilst nevertheless allowing you to choose something to help with early-game survivability or whatever else you may desire (speed line, PV line, long-lived for the superstitious orcs and trolls among PCs). Similarly, Alert for Missile Weapon Master or Strong of Will (IIRC) for Melee Weapon Master.
    Last edited by Jack the Ripper; 09-10-2009 at 03:39 PM.

That's not very helpful. Just say flat out "Treasure Hunter is not the best choice if early game survival is your most pressing concern.", which is one of the few things I think everyone agrees on.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    In light of the recently resurrected TH-wars, it might be best to include some sort of warning that its usefulness is debatable ... you may also suggest simply picking some prerequisite talents which can only be chosen on PC creation without IMMEDIATELY following through on the talents thus opened up.
    I didn't write the section of the GB on Talents, other than the HTML table. So I'm not going to edit that section. I will, however, add an "editor's note" about this. I will also add a note re: followup talents.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Quote Originally Posted by sorear View Post
    Blessed rings of the fish are not 100% reliable; I just got the message "You are drowning!" while wearing one. I was in the water dragon cave as a fresh fallen champion, so cursed, doomed, and not lucky or fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Even cursing is enough to cause that. I've seen it myself.
    I'm going to simply report those observations.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    In my experience, they almost always appear as:
    Code:
    scroll of education ....................... scroll labeled "MANNANNANMACLIR"
    I have a recent savegame of a gnome monk for whom scrolls labeled Carpe Diem were scrolls of education, whereas scrolls of item detection were labeled MANNANNANMACLIR. So it's not reliable, but a certain possibility, probably just like RoDS usually being ordinary, but not always.

Safe places to store things:

If you close the door to Thrundarr's room, that can be used as a safe spot forever, as long as you don't anger Thrundarr. Also, I guess the Greater Daemon could teleport in during that quest. However, you'll never get any other dwarves wandering in, and it's a really convenient location to dump stuff early-to-midgame.

Sometimes a dwarf will spawn in there when the level is generated, but you can just :s to shoo him out.

Only trouble is I think you can't close the door. The elite guardians will keep reopening it if you do.

But then, the greater daemon might have a solution for that too.