Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
To be honest, I just haven't tested it--I know it happens, but I don't know the specifics. I'll see if I have a lawful character kicking around with some herbs, a whip, and good piety, and will get back to you about this.

[edit]Tested this. It's extremely unreliable. With a crowned character at very close, I whipped the character hundreds of times and had it happen only a few times--I'd guess maybe 1% probability. You get the message "You feel remorse. You feel lifted of the dark spirits devouring your health."
I think whips are the most reliable and fastest way to gain alignment, especially if you are still relatively low level (below 40-45). To make it work you need to drop your PV as down as possible (preferably to negative values to gain best effect) and start whipping with whip with as good damage die as possible (whip of slaughtering > whip of the snake > normal whip).

When whipping self the damage die of the whip are thrown and your PV is reduced from this. The constant damage modifier of the is ignored. If the result is negative, it has no effect (just gives message to you to get rid off some protection or says you are really touch).

For example when using whip of the snake (5d2+7) and you have PV of 3, you'll do MAX(5d2-3, 0) damage to self (4,5 on average).
If you have PV of 28 and use whip of slaughtering (1d30+3), you'll do MAX(1d30-28, 0) damage to self, which means you need to get 29 or 30 from dice roll to gain any effect. In this case probability to gain any effect is only 6,7% and even then maximum damage you can inflict is 2.