Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

1.2.2.4 Skriek

"Skriek is a ratling found in Lawenilothehl. He sells keys. The prices seem exorbitant, but they can save a PC's life. Note that Skriek becomes hostile if the PC kills Hotzenplotz, one of Tywat Pare's quests."

Try "Skriek is a ratling found in Lawenilothehl. He sells keys, for the exorbitant price of 500 gold + 30 gold for every levelup. (y = 470 + 30x where x is PC level). Note that Skriek becomes hostile if the PC kills Hotzenplotz, one of Tywat Pare's quests. Skriek can be lured away from the bandit village, for example to Terinyo, where he will sell keys even if Hotzenplotz is killed by the PC."

Hm. A bit long. I tested the formula only up to level 11, have no old PCs lying about. Anyway, for all my old PCs Shriek would very likely be dead.

EDIT: Skriek can even be lured back to bandit village later, after Hotz is killed, and not be aggro. The Keys seemed to be totally random, one got a heap of 3 tiny keys with same status, other different status (dunno blessed or cursed) , and one even got a rusty key. For chars that can't count on getting the "magic lock" spell, a set of keys are useful in addition to saving your life (or 7lbs) from that exploding-rune door. When I (used to) set up the Gremling bomb (TM), being able to lock them away was useful, both as a quick way to neutralize them, and also if I ever needed to leave and come back to harvest them some more. Lock them in, later unlock and continue carnage.
    Last edited by Molach; 06-28-2009 at 10:51 PM.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

"A minor thing I just noticed: appendix J claims that giant ant worker corpse gives acid resistance. I don't think this is always (or even ever) true. The times I've tried, they just make you vomit. But warrior and queen corpses give resistance always."

It certainly CAN give. Can't vouch for always though.

"A giant ant WORKER corpse is lying here (120s). You start to consume the giant ant worker corpse. You are done eating the giant ant corpse. Arrgh! This vile stuff makes you throw up! Your stomach tingles."
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    1.2.2.4 Skriek

Try "Skriek is a ratling found in Lawenilothehl. He sells keys, for the exorbitant price of 500 gold + 30 gold for every levelup. (y = 470 + 30x where x is PC level). Note that Skriek becomes hostile if the PC kills Hotzenplotz, one of Tywat Pare's quests. Skriek can be lured away from the bandit village, for example to Terinyo, where he will sell keys even if Hotzenplotz is killed by the PC."
    How come he's offering to sell me a key for 250gp?

I was about to say "good question" and then "he doesn't, you're just testing me" but then it hit me. I, being male, always play male characters unless I have to take a totally random one.

So the real answer is "because that ratling gives at least 50% discount to females!" That old charmer.

"He sells keys, for the exorbitant price of 500 gold + 30 gold for every levelup to males and 250 + 5 gold to females."

Or probably better with just "exorbitant prices to males and manageable prices to females"
    Last edited by Molach; 06-29-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Re: Section 2.11

I suggest that the Assassin's Cave should be emphasized as an early/early-mid game destination. A mention of the cave to the following effect "A PC with magic mapping or item detection should consider a detour to the Assassin's Cave to obtain the guaranteed wand of teleportation." I also suggest that the Assassin's Cave section be located earlier than the Barbarian Glade section.
    ________
    Toyota motor manufacturing alabama history
    Last edited by sterjs; 02-24-2011 at 10:04 PM.

...and with teleport control. If the char doesn't have it, it doesn't matter at all if you know where it is, unless you have digging.

Funny, I've never known that thing about Skriek. I always thought he gives better prices to chaotics, actually. Isn't that the same thing though?

0.4.3 Training skills:
    Survival is trained even if it is not used. I think simply walking in wilderness trains this skill.

Section 2.4 says: "Bottom line: *never* bring sis into the ID".

I think using "never" here is a bit of an overstatement. I regularly bring sis into the ID with my wizards with Strength of Atlas, and not only I haven't ever had any problems with that, but the replicating effect is quite desirable as I get back from the ID with a lot of sacrificial fodder. I have also taken sis into the ID with other chars sometimes (without Strength of Atlas) and it's OK if you don't dive too deep and keep a close eye on them.

I would say: "Bottom line: never bring sis into the ID unless you have plenty of excess carrying capacity (for example, as provided with the Strength of Atlas spell)". Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Section 2.4 says: "Bottom line: *never* bring sis into the ID".

I think using "never" here is a bit of an overstatement. I regularly bring sis into the ID with my wizards with Strength of Atlas, and not only I haven't ever had any problems with that, but the replicating effect is quite desirable as I get back from the ID with a lot of sacrificial fodder. I have also taken sis into the ID with other chars sometimes (without Strength of Atlas) and it's OK if you don't dive too deep and keep a close eye on them.

I would say: "Bottom line: never bring sis into the ID unless you have plenty of excess carrying capacity (for example, as provided with the Strength of Atlas spell)". Or something like that.
    Or a Blessed Girdle of greed, 100m GP, and Beast of Burden.

Yay for (near) unlimited carrying capacity!

Yay for "the green hag thingy mumbles some crazy shit, your blessed girdle of greed glows black" and "ha ha, you just stepped on a fireball trap, your tank-like PC shall suffer no ill-effects, however, guess which piece of armour has burnt away"