Thread: The name is already in use. Try another name.

Question The name is already in use. Try another name.

I've just tried launching ADOM 1.2.0p8 (Windows) on Windows XP and when I try to create a character with my desired name it gives out the following message:

The name 'Enivid' is already in use. Try another name.

The ADOM folder is empty (safe for the game executable), so where does it look for a save file with that name?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that when I am trying to restore a game, there are no save files available.

It's looking from the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local folder.
    Last edited by Laukku; 01-10-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

My best guess is that there's a save game from an older version still lying about. You can't restore the game because it's incompatible, but you can't create a new character because the save file is still there.

Thanks! Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Application Data\ADOM\adom_dat.

It might be worth mentioning that due to the fact ADOM stores savegames with 8.3 filenames, you will also get this error if your new character shares the first 8 letters of its name with an already-existing one.
    "And light there be!"