Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: were pickpockets nerfed too much?

>Doomed wizard is probably about as difficult as winning with an undoomed thief, I'd say

I managed to do an ultra with a thief a few weeks after my first normal win, but my attempts at playing a doomed wizard never went anywhere.

Perhaps I'll take a shot at doing a doomed archer after I finish the game I'm currently on. Maybe I can manage it now. I'd like to see the doomed strategy guide!

Thieves guild requirements should be eased, definitely, but the thieves guild itself could be made more interesting. Perhaps being a member (or leader) of the thieves guild should turn random master thieves into non-hostile NPCs, asking for hefty sums of money in exchange for a "mystery item" that would turn out to be junk, magical items or artifacts, or junk artifacts, provided they're trading with non-lawfuls.

I can't remember the last time I bothered to learn Detect Traps. I do bother learning Stealth, usually.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I tested difficulty with 2 separate characters and found that without much effort it is at a reasonable level. Picking the odd neutral monster is not tedious at all.

After playing on 1.1.1 again, i'd certanly agree that Pick Pockets are nerfed too much.

What do you think of another possible rework -
    Pickpockets would have 20...70% chance of success for ordinary character without stealth/invis depending on depending on skill level on DL 1
    You could try to pickpocket only once (Thiefs are exception)
    Everyone expect Thiefs and to lesser degree Gnomes/Assasins - are considered Trolls of pickpocketing (compared to spellcaster Trolls). It means that success rate would quickly drop with danger level, Thiefs would maintain stable success rate, Gnomes/Assasins inbetween.

For normal character there would be ~50% chance from beginning of learning to ~DL:20 (skills increase would offset level penalty), and almost zero chance at DL:40-45 (without invisibility)
    For Gnomes/Assassins - ~70% chance & DL:20, ~40% chance & DL:40
    Thiefs would start from 50%, but would make it to ~80-90% at DL:20 and above.

I did suggest something to that effect in the appropriate RFE, hence I think it's a good idea.

Edit - Well, not the limited attempts per monster part.

My current Hurtling CK only picked a little in Holeinthewall, arena, DT and whenever random neutrals were encountered. As success is on 1st attempt most of the time it is not tedious at all. Had to scum for maybe 5 monsters in Holeinthewall.

So, I think reducing the requirement by 3-5 items would be fine.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 07-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.