Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes not in the changelog? (buffed bosses?)

Why should there be a list. If you play adom, you know how a keyboard works, make your own list. The fun part of playing Ancient Domains of Mystery is figuring these things out yourself. Not having your hand held all the way.

P.S. You'll remember details better if you find them out yourself and type them out yourself.

P.P.S. @ sylph, isn't this exciting? Playing an all new improved ADOM, not sure what to expect.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 07-06-2013 at 08:18 AM.

No stingray, it's not. There's a massive difference between dying discovering something new, and dying because something was secretly changed. I really don't mind the whole 'oh, what's this new item? I'll try equipping it... OHMYGODDEAD!'. What I don't enjoy is 'Oh, I know this item, I'll just rub it on my skin to heal me... OHMYGODDEAD!'. Experience in ADOM shouldn't be this harsh a punishment, in my book. I wouldn't mind being unsure what to expect. What I don't like is knowing what to expect, and having it modified so heavily, it results in character death.

This is an extreme, exaggerated example, of course, but it *is* getting a little tiring for me now, because I haven't lost a single character to new content, I've lost them to stealth changes. That doesn't feel 'exciting and new'. It just feels like 'Fuck you'.

ps. Don't get me wrong, loving the new version for all other reasons.
    Last edited by sylph; 07-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.

I'm sorry to hear about your character's death. At least its death taught you that the game has changed somewhat. So, be vigilant and have fun exploring the changed ADOM.

I also lost many characters to the changes, now I'm experienced in the regard and lose hardly any.

Hmm, you've poured through the RFEs quite extensively, I doubt you *fully* understand the perspective I'm trying to represent, but cheers for the well-wishes anyway! Interested to hear about all the characters you lost - how did it happen?
    Last edited by sylph; 07-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Sure, maybe I was a bit prepared. My 1st character to fight the new ACW was killed by it. I had a very hard fight against the new Skeletal King too, was forced in the left side of the lvl, being hit numerous times by summons and it. I managed to escape victorious though, but was almost killed. Keriax with its new unexpected immunities made one of my ultra candidates perish. One was killed by the Water Dragon after picking up an item while in darkness. Pardon the delay scanning my highscores, that seems to be the most notable ones.

e. the typos
    Last edited by Stingray1; 07-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Haha, soon I will become the author of the most hated RFE

On a note related to OP, I haven't noticed anything extraordinary about the skeletal king except the fact that he summons now (I don't think he did this in 1.1.1). Moreover, I've once died with a promising char to the guy in 1.1.1, so the situation you've posted is quite possible, IMHO.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

It's a new version of the game, so every item and boss that you encounter can potentially be "new". It's also a prerelease, not a polished version, so it's definitely possible that some things are unbalanced. If you want stability and the certainty that your knowledge and experience of the game will last, maybe you should keep playing 1.1.1 until the final 1.2.0 comes out.

Anyway, I think the knowledge and experience of 1.1.1 *do* help a lot when playing prereleases. I was very surprised when I found out that the ACW was now immune to something (I don't remember if it was paralysis?) But in my ADOM experience, I had learned that you have to be very prepared and have backup plans when you fight the ACW... damn, you have to be very prepared and have backup plans when you think pretty much anything remotely dangerous. So I didn't die to the ACW that time, I just used other resources and emerged victorious.

About the skeletal king, I have always tried to stay out of melee range from him, even in 1.1.1. I don't know if he could do 120 damage before, but I do know he hit hard. So he hasn't killed me in the prereleases because I respect him.

I guess the trick is not trusting very specific features of the game (such as "paralyze the ACW, it always works") which may change from version to version, but using your experience of general principles ("disable the strong bosses", "fear the bosses and don't be low on HP near them", etc.)

I have won more characters in the prereleases that in 1.1.1, and I have played much less.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    On a note related to OP, I haven't noticed anything extraordinary about the skeletal king except the fact that he summons now (I don't think he did this in 1.1.1).
    He didn't, at least not if you didn't lure him off the level. This can get annoying with melee PCs, as he swarms you with skeletal warriors faster than you can get close to him and dish damage out. I didn't notice him being significantly tougher otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Anyway, I think the knowledge and experience of 1.1.1 *do* help a lot when playing prereleases. I was very surprised when I found out that the ACW was now immune to something (I don't remember if it was paralysis?)
    Same here. I zapped a wand of paralyzation and it did absolutely nothing. Neither did a thrown potion of blindness. Then I remembered about the new boss immunities. I ended up berserking the guy in semi-frustration, acquiring a couple of corruptions in the process

The SFB is immune to blindness now, but it remains vulnerable to potions of cure poison, which I used to great delight.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    The SFB is immune to blindness now, but it remains vulnerable to potions of cure poison, which I used to great delight.
    You mean cure corruption? If you mean cure poison, I have just learn something new.

Potions of cure poison badly stun any creature which poisons. Definitely works on the SFB.