Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mist Elf Weaponsmith - UCG!

Ah I am absolutely kicking myself now! I wanted to grab screenshots of all the Orb guardians, and Chaos Plane in graphical mode! Oh well, maybe next ultra I'll remember to try something other than ASCII..

[QUOTE=Booster;79838Took out Andy with relative ease - he couldn't do much damage to me with 133 PV.[/QUOTE]

Smithing is overpowered.

Congratulations, and nice YAVP!

The ring thingy was deliberate, if I remember correctly. A few useful early-game rings are made of iron and it would be a bit too harsh not to let the PC wear them. It could be justified with that the amount of impure metal contained in just one tiny ring isn't enough to cause damage.
    "And light there be!"

Thanks

I respectfully disagree about smithing - the Moloch armor base is +50 and dumping 100+ eternium ingots into it I only improved it to +56; my other smithed items (helmet and girdle) I also pumped many many ingots into and maxed at around +8 PV. Don't forget, the Moloch armor brought -22 speed and dex (offset by the Cat Ring somewhat), and I had a number of corruptions that added in total +11 more... it was just a combination of everything, including 53 toughness that had my PV that high, not from smithing alone.

That was a joke. I know it takes plenty of time and dedication to achieve results like yours with smithing. I'd rather just use scrolls.

You know what else is overpowered in this game? Torgall's inn. A bottomless source of mostly true rumors for 1gp each? Clearly broken.
    "And light there be!"

I' sorry guys, I was able to take a naked bare-handed mist elf up to xl 12 all the way to khelly D:24 through the animated forest clearing every level. Died from drowning, due to player error.

I going to have to report the ring bug.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 07-08-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Challenging they are - honestly I could live without iron rings, but getting resists/immunities is not all that easy, especially in the early game when it is vital. Fire is easy enough, acid if you get a lucky ant corpse, but shock and ice are very difficult, and any vortex or spell (including lightning lizards) can kill you more or less instantly. Also there are no mundane items that grant -conf.
    Well, rings of cold resistance are fairly easy to acquire, and are always made of stone (very easy to ID early in the game for this reason--the first marble/jade ring you find is always cold resist). AMW covers cold for the mid-to-endgame. For shock, I'll stick to my guns and recommend the black torc (assuming it's not iron...) for early game -Fire and -Shock. RoTHK is platinum, which should be fine for -Fire, -Shock, and -Cold later. -Conf is tricky, but helms of mental stability are crystal at least. Double resistance is generally as good as immunity, so rings of elemental mastery etc. are mostly not needed.

[edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
    I' sorry guys, I was able to take a naked bare-handed mist elf up to xl 12 all the way to khelly through the animated forest clearing every level. Died from drowning, due to player error.

I going to have to report the ring bug.
    I think this is an intended effect. See 1443 and 1472.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 07-08-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I don't think iron rings are an absolute must to be honest - I didn't use an iron ring all game until my battle with Andy as I needed the -Conf - at that point I had the immune to pain talent as well, so could have worn another iron item too.

In that case I would suggest changing either the ring of clear mind OR mental stability to something other than iron (preferably the clear mind as it doesn't grant any bonuses to Le or defense) to give access to -conf.

Regarding your naked mist elf - one small mistep outside of physical combat will likely equate to your death due to such low HP (caster enemies, stone blocks, drowning, breath attacks, trap doors) . Part of the fun and frustration I suppose.

Regarding the ring issue, I think TB's comment on RFE 1446 should be clarifying enough
    "And light there be!"

Yeah, looks like he planned it to be so from the start.

Maybe he didn't want to be too harsh.

Accepted.

@Booster, yeah I realized that, played very carefully, getting necessary skills and items before descending too fast.

Still pissed at dying in such a stupid idiotic way.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 07-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Stingray1, if it'll make you feel any better I had a promising lvl 16 weaponsmith whom I took baby steps to get going doing great in the pyramid with great gear, stats, and after backing into a corner to limit my exposure on the top floor, I realized I had a few turns until I could be hit. So I look at my wands and say to myself "hey, lets try the wand of ball lightning out!". ZAP! Where does it go? diagonal up-left into a wall, back into me, below-right into a wall, back into me, ad-nasuem. After seeing "Your [item] is destroyed!" (x20) I ended up with -156/80.

It doesn't get more idiotic than that.
    Last edited by Booster; 07-08-2013 at 02:42 PM.