Thread: build your own text graphic rpg

Default build your own text graphic rpg

Hmm, you know when on open source game forums some newb comes and is all like: "Hi, I have this great idea, will you help me make it" - meaning do my homework for me - and he gets told to shut up and go away... -well this is similar, but not identical [that is permission to stop reading if needed]

I acutally wanted to discuss and idea I had inspired by ADoM which I lack the programming skill to execute, but not because I wanted someone else to make it for me. I like to share ideas, this and writing too much makes me a very irritating person, but that is irelevant to the idea itself.

Summary:

Text-graphic based rpg which works like a mixture of ADoM and Harvest Moon.
    You have a character who offline lives on a smallholding/farmstead and must sruvive - there are no "save and continue from here" and no resurections. Online there are several towns/cities in which all the offline characters can meet up and trade produce or go on epic joint quests, each settlement would be its own community with its own rules. You can trade for (no acutal money, only in the game) stuff to take home to your smallholding and other people can slip nasty or pleasant surprises into your pack - kind of like a virus, only it only effects the game. Eg: you would pay the village witch to give John "some exitement" (troll squatters on his farm!) or rain, or extra fertility, John wouldn't know about this, but his offline play would get hullava more interesting all of a sudden. Gaining levels/atributes/skills takes a lot longer than in ADoM.
    So basically you build your world, but there is a community element as well.

Now, of course I'd love someone of Thomas' elite programming skill level to say "hey buddy, I love your idea and will make the game for you, just tell me what to put in, etc..." but that's not going to happen. I do however think that there are elements to my "one day when I'm big" game which have some merit, and I'd like other game developers to use them if they can.

I may not be much good at programming, but I was making up pencil and paper RPGs since I was this high... I have far more details and ideas than I'm posting... also, I don't want to make money out of this, I'd just hate to see things go to waste because I'm too dumb to program.

-anyway, don't let me keep you from your busy lives
    thanks for indulging me.

"Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Thank you, I love you, I have your baby inside of me!
    Actually, I'm busy learning Python, but my progress is painfully slow since I have a suboptimal job and a family to support as well as volenteering for a number of things, mostly because I'm stupid. The games I'm working on (a Rom-stye game which I hope to eventually turn into a Battle for Wesnoth mod and the computerised version of one of my P&P RPGs) are not nearly as complex as what I'm proposing. That aside, I would need (in order for the game to work as I want it to) a community of itnerested game-players who will be as important as dedicated programmers, fro the simple reason that by playing the game (without writing a line of code) you end up developing it.
    It's that whole community aspect thing I was talking about:
    Each player starts on their own farm with surrounding wilderness area, this is randomly generated and vanishes when the player dies, you can't continue on someone else's farm. The farm and wilderness are modified by the player, a lot of hard work (intense, some might say "boring" game-play) But, one of the options you have is to "cherish this spot" - this means that the computer will save that piece of wilderness, and there is a greater chance of it re-appearing when you start a new character. You may also leave your farm, and wilderness to a town in your will - the town is not made of AIs and programs, but an online community consisting of real people, they will take what they like from your territory and incorporate it into the wilderness surrounding the town.

-but yes, thanks for the learning python scroll and dark sage corpse since I may not be able to read (crispy) I shall cherish it and there is more chance of it appearing randomly in my next incarnation.

rec.games.roguelike.development
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."