Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trying a challenge game - Bard Archmage

Default Thinking of trying a challenge game - Bard Archmage

Since going non-scumming I've completed a ULE and a UCG, so I was thinking about trying my luck at making an archmage. Is this still feasible on p14 or is it mainly a thing of the past? Since I'm going for a non-wizard, ideally I'd need the max PP possible which would make my play choice a Mist Elf (hard to play with but FUN!). I never played a bard before, but will try and focus strongly on magic - do they find a good amount of spellbooks during play? Just got a Mist Elf wizard to lvl 16 (died to a lightning vortex in ToHK.. big surprise! ) and she found tons of spellbooks; since I'll be physically weak I was thinking of going spear + shield with a strong emphasis on bows. A few questions:
    1. Is it worth it to focus on pets? Seems like more of a hassle to me (I've never bothered with pets/familiars before)
    2. SLB - with the slight nerf is it worth going for the heir gift or using my talents elsewhere?
    3. The Bard innate ability that finds more treasure - is this noticeable?
    4. As a physical weakling, are there any 'must have' skills? As a mist Elf I have Concentration, Dodge, Literacy, and Alertness as guaranteed. I was thinking Find Weakness, Athletics, Healing/Herbalism.
    5. Do Bards in general receive a good amount of PP per level? I will need a lot in order to try for the archmage - is it worth playing with anything other than a wizard when attempting an archmage?
    6. Weird Tome - has anyone tried reading it recently? I remember 100 music and high Le being a pre-requisite; I'd like to try reading it and see for myself
    Last edited by Booster; 07-16-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Any class can be turned into an Archmage if you have the patience to grind it out. Yes, beastfighters and mindcrafters, too. The main challenge is to stay sane while you accumulate the prerequisites. I know I can't do it. Good luck!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Yes, that was a concern of mine as well from what I've read - I was hoping with a naturally high PP it might lessen the time needed to pump up PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Since going non-scumming I've completed a ULE and a UCG, so I was thinking about trying my luck at making an archmage. Is this still feasible on p14 or is it mainly a thing of the past? Since I'm going for a non-wizard, ideally I'd need the max PP possible which would make my play choice a Mist Elf (hard to play with but FUN!). I never played a bard before, but will try and focus strongly on magic - do they find a good amount of spellbooks during play? Just got a Mist Elf wizard to lvl 16 (died to a lightning vortex in ToHK.. big surprise! ) and she found tons of spellbooks; since I'll be physically weak I was thinking of going spear + shield with a strong emphasis on bows. A few questions:
    1. Is it worth it to focus on pets? Seems like more of a hassle to me (I've never bothered with pets/familiars before)
    2. SLB - with the slight nerf is it worth going for the heir gift or using my talents elsewhere?
    3. The Bard innate ability that finds more treasure - is this noticeable?
    4. As a physical weakling, are there any 'must have' skills? As a mist Elf I have Concentration, Dodge, Literacy, and Alertness as guaranteed. I was thinking Find Weakness, Athletics, Healing/Herbalism.
    5. Do Bards in general receive a good amount of PP per level? I will need a lot in order to try for the archmage - is it worth playing with anything other than a wizard when attempting an archmage?
    6. Weird Tome - has anyone tried reading it recently? I remember 100 music and high Le being a pre-requisite; I'd like to try reading it and see for myself
    1. The main use of pets is as tools. If you want to kill a beggar without alignment hit, kill a cat, kill a vortex.. they have their uses.
    2. Yes, SLB are still worth it.
    3. I don't know.
    4. I advise against Mist Elf (unless you just like the challenge), but skills aren't critically important in any case. The mana advantage relative to gnomes or other elves isn't big enough to torture yourself with this race.
    5. Bards have good enough PP I think.
    6. Get really, really high willpower before you try this.

Now about your main question, archmaging. I'm not an expert on this, but the main change in p14 that matters is hp casting. Still, I'm pretty sure you can work around that. Finding the book in the first place will be the biggest problem I think. Remember that the orb of mana can be used to increase your power points and mana very quickly. Once you have enough mana to bookcast wish on Silvernight, wishing for scrolls of chaos removal and using the orb starts a positive feedback loop. Wishing for speed at the start of Silvernight is good, too. You should probably get the ToTRR for the mana boost to get started.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

One of the biggest reasons to use wizards is the guaranteed Wish book in the library.

Seconded on the mist elf advice - gnomes are much better in so many areas.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Thanks for the replies.

A Gnomish wizard might be a better bet than Mist Elf since they innately have Concentration and Literacy, but Gnomish Bards don't have a great base skillset - I'd rather not have to re-roll too many times to get the basics. I enjoyed playing as a wizard so might just stick with that, but I tend to enjoy the challenge of Mist Elves. Usually by the time I make it to lvl 16/17 it's much easier to survive as I've acquired -shock or found arrows of constuct slaying. For me the biggest adjustment is using a lot of spells as opposed to melee/missile which is why I thought a bard might be a good mix.

I'm curious about natural PP of races - is there a comparison of lvl 50's of the same class/base stats so we can see the HP/PP multiplier for each race? I imagine Humans would be the benchmark, but if I can get a few hundred more base PP as a mist elf I'd prefer to go that way even if the early game is more difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    I'm curious about natural PP of races - is there a comparison of lvl 50's of the same class/base stats so we can see the HP/PP multiplier for each race? I imagine Humans would be the benchmark, but if I can get a few hundred more base PP as a mist elf I'd prefer to go that way even if the early game is more difficult
    I don't think race affects PP. I think character level, mana attribute and class are those that affect it. Not 100% sure thou.

Is spellbook of Wish wishable?

Nope. You can't wish for any item that produces wishes. You get a book of calm monster instead IIRC.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Race effects PP on a very minor level. 100 Concentration is the main driver of PP regeneration and overwhelms all other sources.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!