Thread: Navigating Towns

Default Navigating Towns

Going through "safe" areas is quite tedious due to bumping into people and getting the "attack" prompt. Although I wouldn't want to change how that mechanic works is there something we can do to reduce this?

Going through dwarftown and Terinyo is the worst. I mean this is bearable but a little frustrating. This would be for new players too.

Potential solution:

-Create "pathways" that NPC's don't step on, or step on less frequently? These pathways would lead to shops, important buildings, etc.

Risk:
    -Certain NPC's are segmented into the same area's of the town
    -How would attacking/aggro be affected?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by boat View Post
    Going through "safe" areas is quite tedious due to bumping into people and getting the "attack" prompt. Although I wouldn't want to change how that mechanic works is there something we can do to reduce this?

Going through dwarftown and Terinyo is the worst. I mean this is bearable but a little frustrating. This would be for new players too.

Potential solution:

-Create "pathways" that NPC's don't step on, or step on less frequently? These pathways would lead to shops, important buildings, etc.

Risk:
    -Certain NPC's are segmented into the same area's of the town
    -How would attacking/aggro be affected?

Thoughts?
    This is a very good idea. Ideally the default action with townspeople shouldn't be to switch locations and keep going, just like with pets or companions, but, you are right, there would need to be some sort attack command to compensate. Could "A" (capital) be the attack command? Or is adding new commands too difficult to implement?

ADOM Sage and the server have swap positions as a default for non-hostiles instead of attack. There isn't a specific command to attack, but you can always kick, use a wand or missiles, etc. to induce aggro.

I believe that TB has indicated that this is one of the features from Sage that he'd like to incorporate into the game.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Note that the server has this because of using Sage.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    ADOM Sage and the server have swap positions as a default for non-hostiles instead of attack. There isn't a specific command to attack, but you can always kick, use a wand or missiles, etc. to induce aggro.

I believe that TB has indicated that this is one of the features from Sage that he'd like to incorporate into the game.
    Question though, if you still keep switching with dwarven guards many times in that manor do they still become hostile towards you?
    P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:
    Just drink Tobasco for the intrinsic you retire!!

Quote Originally Posted by KyoShinda View Post
    Question though, if you still keep switching with dwarven guards many times in that manor do they still become hostile towards you?
    Yes, this still happens. I think this is an intentional thing.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Yes, this still happens. I think this is an intentional thing.
    What's the rationale behind not having a warning in those cases?

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    What's the rationale behind not having a warning in those cases?
    I'm not sure there is one. And, admittedly, I think we are running into trouble here with the auto-switching idea. A character who was exploring dwarf town could conceivably walk "through" the same guardian many times over the course of a game, and not even realize that he was offending them.

I understand we are going for a sort of pseudo-realism with auto switching causing hostility, but not sure we wouldn't be better off without that mechanic. And, rationally speaking, long before a guardian became angry enough to actually attack the player, it seems like he would just refuse to move out of the way. He would definitely warn the player before attacking unless he was attacked first.

With the current guardian AI, the best fix might be to enable auto switching only for characters who do not become hostile when you change positions with them. This would be farmers, goodwives, human/dwarf children, ordinary dwarves, and female dwarves. It would still make travel easier, but it would eliminate the unintended outcome of inciting guardians to hostility.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyling View Post
    With the current guardian AI, the best fix might be to enable auto switching only for characters who do not become hostile when you change positions with them. This would be farmers, goodwives, human/dwarf children, ordinary dwarves, and female dwarves.
    Having had a farmer in Terinyo get ticked off and attack me when I switched places with him *once*, I argue this 'do not become hostile'.