Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting wish from potion of wonder before khelly?

Default Casting wish from potion of wonder before khelly?

Just generated orcish merchant on prerelease 16. Had a potion of wonder so drinking it was my first action... and I got Wish... It requires 5550 PP to cast meaning 2725 PP on silvernight. Now I am wondering if there is any way in hell I will be able to cast it before khelly to give him AoLS. I believe I once did this with a bard, who got wish with one of his class powers. However, I believe that his requirement was 3000 or 1500 during silvernight... and it was like "a few" adom releses back...

To be honest I seriously doubt that this is possible without some ridiculous scumming and most likely it is easier to find AoLS than actually cast the spell... but maybe someone has some bright idea I do not know of...

Quote Originally Posted by kordi82 View Post
    Just generated orcish merchant on prerelease 16. Had a potion of wonder so drinking it was my first action... and I got Wish... It requires 5550 PP to cast meaning 2725 PP on silvernight. Now I am wondering if there is any way in hell I will be able to cast it before khelly to give him AoLS. I believe I once did this with a bard, who got wish with one of his class powers. However, I believe that his requirement was 3000 or 1500 during silvernight... and it was like "a few" adom releses back...

To be honest I seriously doubt that this is possible without some ridiculous scumming and most likely it is easier to find AoLS than actually cast the spell... but maybe someone has some bright idea I do not know of...
    What happens if you exhaust yourself casting a spell that expensive? Certain death?

If so you could always cast it while wearing an amulet of lifesaving...

...Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Unlikely w/o scumming. Casting yourself to death with an amulet of life saving saves your life but the spell doesn't go off.

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Archmage this covers a lot of good ways to be able to cast the spell. Ignore the need to be able to cast it from the book. There are rooms that reduce the cost of spells as well. Might help.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltofdoom View Post
    Unlikely w/o scumming. Casting yourself to death with an amulet of life saving saves your life but the spell doesn't go off.
    Cobalt, it was a joke. He was going to use the wish for an AoLS. If he already had one, he wouldn't need to make the wish to begin with.

This brings up an interesting question, though. Kordi is going to quite a bit of effort here to find a way to cast wish so he can Khelevaster, but I've heard veterans say you are all but guaranteed to get a wish if you drain all the pools in darkforge. Is Kordi overreacting, or is getting a wish from a pool harder than some of you have made it sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyling View Post
    Cobalt, it was a joke. He was going to use the wish for an AoLS. If he already had one, he wouldn't need to make the wish to begin with.

This brings up an interesting question, though. Kordi is going to quite a bit of effort here to find a way to cast wish so he can Khelevaster, but I've heard veterans say you are all but guaranteed to get a wish if you drain all the pools in darkforge. Is Kordi overreacting, or is getting a wish from a pool harder than some of you have made it sound like?
    When you say veterans... you probably mean someone like me... ;P Have been playing the game since late 90s.

And you are faaar from certain to get wish from pool draining in darkforge. No idea what are the statistics but from my experience it is below 10%.

Chance to get a wish from the DF pools is close to 50%. (If you remove doom status whenever you get it.)
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Unless you only get 5-6 pools (it happened) and 3 of them dry out on first sip...
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

From my experience it's definitely more than 10% chance. Don't know if it's 50%, but I'd say that I get at least one pool-wish in at least one out of three games. I always make sure to be as lucky as possible while drinking from pools... can be a little tedious, but it's definitly worth it.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

In my experience, I'd say it's probably about 60% of the times if you do it right (i.e. removing dooming as many times as possible - I also always wear the blessed ankh, although I don't know if it has an influence).

With TH, in around 60% of the games I already get an AoLS without the need for draining pools, so putting it all together, it is pretty infrequent that I need to let Khelavaster die.

The probability to get a wish from one pool is equal to 1/17 (chances to dry up versus wish are sixteen to one)
    On average there are 10 pools, half the floor space. So the chance to get a wish: 1 - (16/17)^10 = 45%

Luck (intrinsic) has no influence on pool sipping (except that doom prevents wish).
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.