Thread: Molochs- and problems with them

Default Molochs- and problems with them

Does anyone actually have any problems with molochs of any variety? I either always have something of penetration/phase dagger or the Rune Covered trident.
    Bezerk-Stab- step back. Repeat.

they'd be much bigger of an issue if they appeared earlier in the game. i guess they're probably most dangerous in the DH levels or in a pack of more than, say, 6. heck, i'd say swamp hydras are far more dangerous, seeing as they attack 5 times a turn and can appear in swamps at ANY point in the game.

if there's one drawback about adom it's that the most powerful monsters are usually known threats. you wouldn't melee a greater moloch without thinking hard about it, and you would certainly run away from an emperor lich if you spotted one. they prove to be more anonyances than actual challenges.

that's one of the reasons I'm not always too keen on being nice to cats - the cat lord fight can often be a hair-raising ordeal that forces me to really be creative with my strategy.

EDIT: I guess my overall point is that the game would be much harder if there were more levels that didn't allow teleportation and there were more monsters that are really much much faster than you are.
    You climb upwards...
    These caverns almost seem to be endless. There is a stair leading downwards here.
    You climb downwards...
    These caverns almost seem to be endless. There is a stair leading upwards here. You hear a grinding sound in the distance.

Hack-and-back is good if executed correctly, as is simply bombarding them with bolts other than fire or frost. If things get ugly, you can just outrun them. Don't melee them without Fate smiles, however. A single critical hit could be game over.
    "And light there be!"

I've died a couple of times to the guys with mid-to-late game chars, no problem. Emperor moloch, on the other hand, is pretty much always a joke.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I don't ever remember dying to a moloch, since they usually appear either when I'm completely unprepared to face them (early TotHK journey or early DH dive) and decide to run, or when they can't really harm me that much since I'm a tank already, well into 3 digits DV-wise with plenty of HP and more means to dispatch them quickly than I need.
    The problem is with greater molochs. They can be a threat to any char and I died to those not once, including a sad case of tension room in UL7 that I decided to clear right after obtaining the mana orb.
    Among green H, red &, some colorful W, D's of 3 kinds, that brown & didn't look as threatening but it was a very nasty and sudden death when he punched me twice and brought down to 1 HP, bleeding and stunned.
    When deliberately summoned to get exp, they can still be very nasty and unpredictable at times, especially when you're on the speed border when you can hit them twice and run, rinse and repeat.
    A mistake here can cost your life despite being able to deal with them one by one in a controlled environment.

I suppose the most important advice on dealing with (greater) molochs would be to always be extremely cautious.
    It's better to lose a turn on needless running rather than overstep what your speed and energy consumption can give you in terms of free attacks and get critically hit.
    Only a few days ago, my GE duelist at lvl 27 had a spare wish and decided to use it on "emperor moloch" in the glade.
    Everything was going fine - hit once, step back, hit twice, step back. Perfect calculation until I misstepped by pressing the wrong key. Boom, critical, HP down to 1 all the way from 300+.
    I was intrinsically lucky and had fate smiles, plus Ankh was on, so I survived and managed to step away, heal and continue, but it was too close.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 08-22-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."