Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dooming: Is it that bad? (through an artifact)

Default Dooming: Is it that bad? (through an artifact)

Ok. Got Celestrix on a Dark Elf paladin as a precrown. So good. But the dooming. How bad is it? I've played games where I've worn the crown of science for ages. Admittedly this was in 1.1.
    Seemed ok?
    Adom Wiki seems to think its terrible.
    Opinions?

JellySlayer can give you the complete rundown. Right now, the armor on Celestrix is so ridiculous compared to everything else that it might be worth it. Lategame, when the rest of your equipment shapes up, I'd stop using it.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Coool. Ta!

My impression is that if you also have Lucky and Fate Smiles (for example wearing the blessed ankh) it's not that bad. But even with that, I have my doubts that it's really worth it - you'll be getting awesome DV and PV, but receiving significantly more crits. I guess it's OK for style points though.

If you don't have Lucky and Fate Smiles, dooming is really bad.

From what I know, all this hasn't changed from 1.1.1 to the prereleases (only a bug was fixed by which fireproof blankets would last more, not less, when doomed - or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltofdoom View Post
    Ok. Got Celestrix on a Dark Elf paladin as a precrown. So good. But the dooming. How bad is it? I've played games where I've worn the crown of science for ages. Admittedly this was in 1.1.
    Seemed ok?
    Adom Wiki seems to think its terrible.
    Opinions?
    Played mist elf assassin just recently with Celestrix. It is amazing early/mid game, but you should stop using it late-game due to corruption.

Requirements -
    1) light source, always (screw ankh, use amulet of light)
    2) do not be a packrat, it does not provide wonders of blessed girdle of carrying
    3) relatively good weapon, doomes could be treated as -some% damage due to tougher monsters

Most "normal" disadvantages of doomed (bad luck, stat drain, special attacks, etc, etc) goes right away due to [+13, +13]. What cant hurt you will not hurt you (usually...).

When to put off Celestrix -
    1) You already have a lot of DV/PV and armor bonus starting to get negligible.
    2) You are wandering in heavy corruption areas (DL 40+)
    3) You found yourself unable to hack your way through cavernous levels, thats a good sign that your damage is low enough to consider removing doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    My impression is that if you also have Lucky and Fate Smiles (for example wearing the blessed ankh) it's not that bad. But even with that, I have my doubts that it's really worth it - you'll be getting awesome DV and PV, but receiving significantly more crits. I guess it's OK for style points though.
    I've been only intristically lucky/fate smiled, no ankh - no problems. DV/PV solves 90% of problems. I had more problems being cursed with ankh without good DV/PV (something like 30/15) that doomed without ankh with Celestrix bonus (45/30? monsters, you are a nuisance.)

The DV, PV and intrinsics are tempting, but from my experience, dooming lives up to its name and is never worth the exchange. Especially when you're going to be dealing with most things in melee. Monsters gain extra hit points, ignore PV, damage armor and crit a lot more often, and item destruction increases considerably.

It's a little sad because Celestrix would be an absolutely great item if it didn't doom, but the same can be said of the SoRS and Chaos essence. You're supposed to take the good and the bad, or neither.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    The DV, PV and intrinsics are tempting, but from my experience, dooming lives up to its name and is never worth the exchange. Especially when you're going to be dealing with most things in melee. Monsters gain extra hit points, ignore PV, damage armor and crit a lot more often, and item destruction increases considerably.
    Monster gain extra hit points, deal a lot less damage to you (they miss, miss, fail to hurt you, miss, fail to hurt you and occasionaly ignore PV... one in a 100 times), do not damage armor (they need to pierce it first, and... see above), crits are barely noticeable (PV!), and items destruction... well, didnt noticed. Shock item destruction is most certanly greatly reduced.

[+13, +13] doing WONDERS early/mid game.

Everything that you described - is true, when monsters _can_ hit you, and then you are really doomed with all of the above happening. With Celestrix they cant hit you, and thats the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Monster gain extra hit points, deal a lot less damage to you (they miss, miss, fail to hurt you, miss, fail to hurt you and occasionaly ignore PV... one in a 100 times), do not damage armor (they need to pierce it first, and... see above), crits are barely noticeable (PV!), and items destruction... well, didnt noticed. Shock item destruction is most certanly greatly reduced.
    I guess it's subjective and a matter of playstyle, but I'd rather have monsters regularly hit me for X damage, than monsters not hitting me most of the time, but then getting occasional armor-piercing crits for 3X damage. The former is much more controllable, predictable and gives you time to flee, recover health, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I guess it's subjective and a matter of playstyle, but I'd rather have monsters regularly hit me for X damage, than monsters not hitting me most of the time, but then getting occasional armor-piercing crits for 3X damage. The former is much more controllable, predictable and gives you time to flee, recover health, etc.
    There are not many monsters that can bother you with occasional armor-piercing crits for 3X damage. Yes, you need to be careful around top-tier monsters - berserker emperors, fire giants, ogre emperors, mimic hiveminds, etc, etc... But majority of them are only encountered at the late-game when DL goes above 25-30. There it would be wise to remove this girdle.

But early-mid game? Stone golems, fomorian giants, gray slayers, dark orcs, ogre kings, berserker princes, all those type of annoying and semi-dangerous mid-tier monster are _not a threat_. That gives tons of survival.