Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dooming: Is it that bad? (through an artifact)

Being doomed makes you a lot more vulnerable to instant deaths... Normally if you have fate smiles (or maybe just lucky is enough) and monster critically hits you, you're often left 1 hp instead of being killed. But while you're doomed (and in this case also cursed) you'll hardly ever succeed with that saving roll and will die instead.
    Also you really should avoid all paralyzing monsters like plague because those are very likely to keep you paralyzed if they manage to paralyze you once (being paralyzed significantly lowers your DV and they'll ignore your PV a lot more often).

However that regeneration ability is nice and can be used quite safely to heal yourself between battles.

The biggest problem while doomed is paralysis. I've had characters with 40-50 PV killed by a single ghul in the Griffyard before. If they punch your armor and paralyze you, it's probably game over. Carrion crawlers, gelatinous cubes, staring eyes, etc. can all be game-enders.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Isn't intrinsic doom (as your characters have) worse than from an item?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I've heard that yes.

Doom double corruption from background doesn't it? That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Isn't intrinsic doom (as your characters have) worse than from an item?
    In terms of luck rolls, certainly yes. I suspect that there are other effects associated with intrinsic dooming but not with items, but I haven't ever tried to quantify it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

you can be auto-killed in the dark while doomed right? does anyone know the odds of this?
    btw, I never used a torch. you carry it in tools right? how do you light it?

sounds like dooming items could be good if you want to get crowned. to get lots of mobs to spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by gosos View Post
    btw, I never used a torch. you carry it in tools right? how do you light it?
    'U'se it. You need firemaking items for this, but since they're plentiful (more than the torches themselves, before the balance changes) that shouldn't be a problem. You can also equip torches as melee weapons.
    "And light there be!"

For me this is very simple.

Without doom I can deal basically with everything in the game. Seriously... with introduction of talents game became much, much easier. You can outrun basically everything. I do not have to fight it. I do not need 13 PV girdle for this. With the most dangerous early/mid game monsters 13 PV will not help you much i.e. Vortices.

However, with dooming, there will be random situations that you seriously cannot control or predict. i.e. There will be Acid and Stone Block trap next to each other and with dooming they will drag your 90 mid game HP to -10.... There will be a water trap that will destroy all your scroll and rust all your equipement. Rat will punch trhough your armor and will cause you sickness.... etc.

My advice. Keep it always in your backpack and put it on in certain situations i.e. if you need quick regen or quick boost to your PV or Ligthning lizard starts shooting lightning from outside of your sight range... Other than that, if you want to play normal game put wear it. It is not worth it. Makes the game random.

Oh... you can also use it for another precrown. Dooming = increased monster generation = easier precrown.

P.S.
    No-one mentioned that while doomed your chances of generating other gear are worse... i.e. RoDS etc.
    Last edited by kordi82; 08-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.

You expressed it much better than me, but the idea that I had in my mind was similar. DV and PV help a lot with everyday combat (you take less -or no- damage, etc.), but dooming is disadvantageous for the extreme cases (being repeatedly paralyzed, stunned by hits, blinded by traps and then critted by some mob or blasted by a vortex, etc.) where DV/PV also help, but not that much. And the extreme cases are the ones that tend to kill your char, at least if you are being careful, as the everyday damage can always be healed or fleed away from.

Quote Originally Posted by kordi82 View Post
    No-one mentioned that while doomed your chances of generating other gear are worse... i.e. RoDS etc.
    Drop rates and quality are the same for doomed characters as regular PCs in my experience.

[edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by gosos View Post
    you can be auto-killed in the dark while doomed right? does anyone know the odds of this?
    You can be randomly eaten by a grue upon entering a darkened area (not simply standing in darkness as the Guidebook suggests). The odds are apparently around 1/50. I've had this happen a handful of times before. Flickering light rooms become very dangerous since you have to survive a 1/50 death chance every other step.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 08-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.