Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training with Garth bug?

Default Training with Garth bug?

So I am playing Mist Elven thief right now and I noticed something very very strange. Not sure if it is a bug or not even sure this is really caused by Garth training.

So my Toughness was 12 as well as potential. So I went to Garth gave him 2001 gold and boom - my potential jumped to 18. At the same time I drank 3 blessed potions of potential strength so I though to myself that maybe they caused this (the change was 6 so would match). However, I went to Garth next time gave him 6001 gold and boom my potential is 24.
    I actually missed the message about potential increasing so I noticed this with delay. Also not 100% sure that this was caused by Garth training but it seems so.

Anyone noticed something similar?

Right now I have level 19 mist elven thief with 29 toughness... lol. (+5 from robes of resistance).

Yes, it is a known bug. It happens with all stat increases, while wearing an item that increases that stat. I'll link the reports later if needed.

I've been abusing this shamelessly along with eating 20 morgia to overtrain potentials. Hopefully we'll get this fixed and enter a new era where race/class stats do matter. Then I will finally be able to stop using herbs!
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    I've been abusing this shamelessly along with eating 20 morgia to overtrain potentials. Hopefully we'll get this fixed and enter a new era where race/class stats do matter. Then I will finally be able to stop using herbs!

Why would you want to stop using herbs? Even if this is fixed you can still use a mixture of Garth training to raise your potential and herb to actually rise stat. It's cheaper than giving Garth gold for both

And herbs remain useful to train your stats from their initial value, of course.

As for this bug, right now it's kind of hard not to "abuse" it. You have to remove all stat-increasing items before doing anything that might result in a potential increase (potions of potential -stat-, Garth, herbs, Athletics, etc.).
    "And light there be!"

Hardcore players don't use stat-increasing equipment anyway
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Hardcore players don't use stat-increasing equipment anyway
    Sounds like a challenge. No stat increases at all (except natural training)?

Personally I think herbs train stats way too high or way too fast. Very few race/class combinations for example start with a toughness of 25 or higher. Same with dexterity and willpower. I think the cap should be more like 15, or the time to increase the stat more like 30 days, and you should constantly have to eat them after getting a "you feel as if you're getting tougher..." message or something. Overall I think stat increases should be closer to finding Executor than finding True Aim. This way the race choice would have more of an effect, hopefully. At the moment you kind of only stare at the skillset.

This variation should be taken care of by the changes to potential caps. It's a bit broken right now, but that's the idea. I used almost that exact argument in favour of implementing harder potential caps, in fact.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

And I feel the way it is right now (minus the obvious bug) is ok.
    The only thing that I would change is to make some stats more worthwile i.e. charisma, beauty, perception. This would add much more flavor to the game than capping potentials even harder.

Do not know if this is good idea or not but i.e. Charisma might be tied not only to shop prices but also to the chance of shops being generated ... and as far as shop prices go make it even more noticeable. Beauty I have no idea what to do with... Perception might be tied to item generation chances. It actually makes sense that you are able to find better loot if your perception is higher... or it can help avoid traps.

Perception is moderately useful already. It helps you detect traps and find secret doors. It affects sight ranges, which are pretty important, IMHO. More sight is never bad. At the extreme end, playing a Pe 1 character (chaos knight with mists of chaos, say), is fairly challenging. Granted, it's hard to increase and you can play quite comfortably with a score of 15-20, but it's definitely noticeable if it's very high or very low.

I had always thought that some quests should have Charisma/Appearance checks associated with them. Is the tiny girl really going to even talk to a character who is "hated by most people" and "extremely ugly"? Wouldn't Thrundarr be more likely to offer better gifts to someone who is "revered everywhere" or "absolutely gorgeous"?