Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Westside story challenge

What about heir gnomish bard? You get a nice skillset in a few rolls, you get 7LBs, you get guaranteed wand of light against gremlins (possibly with 12 or more charges) and the ability to tame stuff you can't kill.

EDIT: As for challenges in general, for Friday the 13th I suggest once again the one that I got my name from: Blasphemous Man.
    Kick every altar on sight, until destroyed. Nothing can stop you, the moment you spot one, even in elemental temples (especially there) and in dwarftown.
    All altars have to be kicked down, no other requirements.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 09-13-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    EDIT: As for challenges in general, for Friday the 13th I suggest once again the one that I got my name from: Blasphemous Man.
    Kick every altar on sight, until destroyed. Nothing can stop you, the moment you spot one, even in elemental temples (especially there) and in dwarftown.
    All altars have to be kicked down, no other requirements.
    In DT and the temples it should be easy to avoid seeing the altars, although I guess this is against the spirit (if not the letter) of the challenge.

The idea is that you know there are altars there, but the PC has no way of knowing, so you shouldn't avoid seeing something that you had no way of knowing is out there.
    I believe you would have to find at least 2-3 random altars during the course of a normal game, maybe more. Random ones are the dangerous kind, since attempting to destroy them with a low HP PC will surely cause death
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Levelling is of little concern in this challenge, staying alive is a much bigger problem. Even UC:1 is challenging.

Edit - well, I've lost my soul. Killed about 50 characters yesterday. Will try about 5 more today. Then I give up.

Edit2 - Was able to get a High Elf Archer to xl 11 on UC:1 with a nice pile of ammo. Stupidly left Werewolf Lord alive hoping for some wolf corpses on UC:2. Killed by said Lord.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 09-22-2013 at 01:10 PM.

I'm uncertain whether the Skeletal King can see invisible in pre16, I know he couldn't pre pre7? My character has Wi of 8 and no confusion resistance and Ogre Magus on UC:4. Scared the Magus might die in some freak accident.

Troll Beastfighter, I know crap R/C for this challenge, but I was rolling random characters as always.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - NVM. Starved after poison hands and a shitload of white worms on UC:5. Atleast made xl 16 with a Troll so even the experience is not too difficult, most mobs offer between 500-2000xp at 116 speed. Takes about 2 days play time.

The no ascending rule is best I think, otherwise spellcasters can simply go up UC:1 and read books. Which would make it too easy really.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 09-24-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Added a light version - may move between levels prior to ring retrieved.

Very light version - may also fight and collect in wilderness en route.

Also extremely light can be considered - may move and fight and do whatever in the northwest prior to ring rerieved.

Anyway, had this, which at first glance seems impossible.

Code:
    ###########
    /.....^...#
    #...^<^...#
    #.........#
    ###########
    Room was filled with gremlins, obviously, Human Paladin had climbing set, phial and max PP of 30 and managed to reach the upstairs and UC:1. Where he got crit to 1 from 49 and bleeding by annis hag and failed at first aid.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 09-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.

How exactly do you do the gemlin cave? x-) Just tried it for the first time with a candle-born human Chaos Knight... after 2304 turns she was extremely glad to get out of that cave alive. She is completely out of prayers (two times healing, once satiation), has reached experience level 8, twohanded weapons level 7 and killed 515 gremlins. Se has scouted almost the whole cave and had a torch burning all the time, but still she neither found the climbing set not the phial... maybe a gremlin took the stuff or I just couldn't see it below the masses of Gremlins.
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 12-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Yes, unfortunately you can't see items lying on the floor below a monster, I think anon123 asked in a related RFE if we can maybe have that changed. Once you get to around 500 gremlins, you are nearing your end, even with a CK.

I suggest you forget about killing gremlins off, rather concentrate on finding the climbing set. They do pick up the climbing set, but most of the time if you just try and progress through the cave, you will eventually get it.

The phial is usually in one of the furthest rooms from the stairs and it does not get picked up by gremlins as all artifacts don't get picked up by monsters.

Good luck, the gremlins is the easy part.

P.S. Stay next to the walls through squarer rooms, rooms that are 3 by something you can clear by moving down the middle.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-22-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Wow, my westside girl is doing really fine, although in a different way then originally intended. She is trying to go for an ordinary chaos god ending and has already got the Scepter from the SIL (holy crap, had to use all of Khelly's scrolls inside the ID!), fed two artifacts to the ratling (Moonsickle and the Amulet of Raw Steel) and just finished off the ancient chaos wyrm. In the end it turned out that the Gremlin Cave was a very nice kickstart for her!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Hmmm, no farmer corpses from Terinyo and HMV... is there a halveway realistic chance for a new farmer spawning in any of these places or should I rather try to scum for a wish? Already got all the other items I need, so this damn farmer is really going on my nerves x-)