Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what new race/classes would you like to see?

Default what new race/classes would you like to see?

Instead of posting this in suggestions, I figured id post it here, then if enough people like certain new ideas, we can take those to a new suggestions thread. Here are a few of my ideas. These are mainly for very advanced users. The guys who post in threads when newbs ask what to do and go 'it doesn't matter they all work'. These would be the kinds of classes that are not forgiving and require you to be VERY careful the whole game, but have niche skills.

1. class that can craft and use traps. basically your strength is in making traps. would need to add new ones. this class would be weak in melee/hp/strength and have a little casting power, but not alot. this class would require you to be VERY strategic. so you need to craft and place traps in the right locations. it would not be forgiving. the class could become powerful, but given low HP/melee/strength and lack of range skill would make you have to think strategically on every level and be very careful. i think this class would be a challenge to the most experience ADOM players.

2. Bomb Thrower: this kind of class exists in other games. This class can craft items that explode when they throw them. However. they are very low HP/melee/strength and have mediocre magic. they also get a penalty to heal spells. so youc an cause alot of damage, but you have to be very careful. also run the risk of bombing out the wrong alignment. very challenging to play. would need to add new items. if you think this sounds over powered, what would you do to make it not overpowered. real tough to do as anything other than chaotic. killing the demon in dwarf town would be tough since your likely to bomb the dwarves.

what do you think? I dont have any races off the top of my head.

I kinda like 1. 2 has the drawback of new items. There's a problem in what they should look like (in ASCII mode) and it's always some extra work. Besides, as throwing weapons (I guess?) there's no reason why other classes can't find and use them, which makes the class less unique.
    And in general, both these classes are pretty awkward in the sense that they have only one good way of killing things. But that's not too annoying, you could say the same for wizards.

As for races, maybe I have an idea:
    Yeti's (or maybe cavemen if you prefer). The general idea is a kind of frosty beast-man, in the dwarf/orc line but neutral initially. They would have a special frost breath attack (accessible with ctrl-x) similar to burning hands but with more PP cost and frosty. Their stats would be distributed as follows, from high to low: To, St/Ma/Ch, Wi, Dx/Pe, Le, Ap (say 14, 12, 11, 10, 8, 7; total of +6 on average 10).
    Race-specific skills: Alertness, Courage, Climbing, Stealth, Survival
    Maximum age something like 40+8d4, starting age 9 + 3d4, status of age changing at 16 (grown-up), 32, 48, 64.
    General starting items: thick furs (obviously), bone helmet.
    Get hungry about as fast as a human, maybe a little bit faster.
    Experience requirement x1.6 penalty.

Of course all the numbers are just suggestions

I'd like to see a hill giant class. You'd start with massive strength and con but be extremely slow.

Kind of like the high elf -> mist elf but it would be troll -> hill giant

For ADOM II, I had suggested (and still think it would be super cool to have) a Marilith race. You get four or six weapon slots and can multi-wield any number of weapons and shields in them. Tradeoff: You can only wear helmets and necklaces for armor; all other types of armor don't fit you.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    For ADOM II, I had suggested (and still think it would be super cool to have) a Marilith race. You get four or six weapon slots and can multi-wield any number of weapons and shields in them. Tradeoff: You can only wear helmets and necklaces for armor; all other types of armor don't fit you.
    That makes me think of those things(forget their name) in the Dykara(is that what it's called) in ToME.

Quote Originally Posted by gosos View Post
    2. Bomb Thrower: this kind of class exists in other games. This class can craft items that explode when they throw them.
    Crystals of fire? A gnome monk can already do this, in principle. I once had a gnome archer who killed things exclusively with thrown gems, took a lot of patience to get started but it was a lot of fun.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Isn't there the same topic I've posted my idea of Construct race.
    Mob constructs are pretty common in game, and already have some class scale — Clay, Stone, Iron, Steel and so on. Class with m/b no HP and PP regeneration and ability of healing via consuming of items of proper type.
    //Luckily there are already exist pretty common new item (which has very special area of usability for non ME) made of clay =)
    Variety of resistances and special powers like fire breath, no need in food, special (that?) corruption mechanics and almost ultimate allergy to water, that a field for a new way to have fun with ADOM =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1445

I really liked that RFE and all the comments people made on it. But if I remember correctly, TB has stated there won't be any more races or classes added to the game other than the additions we've already seen, making all of this potential ADOM II material instead.
    "And light there be!"

I'd prefer if people thought of ways to make the existing classes more unique instead of devising new classes. If people really are telling newbies "anything works", that's a good sign that something could be improved, in my opinion. Some classes, like beastfighter, stand out nicely because of some unique quirk they have. Would be great if the classes had more pronounced quirks.

I would like to see kobolds as a plyable race. Ratling are nice, but I was really waiting for kobolds. Still they can a be a race to be humiliated with - having all stat potentials capped at 10 at the begining.
    Also anyone thought about a race that eats not regular food but some kind of items? Like only gems, or only metallic items.