Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back after 3 years of not playing

Default Back after 3 years of not playing

Got climbing set destroyed in TotHK. Lesson (re-)learned. I do have some questions though.

How do you get enough piety to crown on the Dwarftown altar?
    How does Chaos Knight's downside actually affect play, if at all?
    Is the only reason to grind herbs for tons of healing now?
    Did ACW get nerfed at some point?
    Closers- GE Wizard, DE Beastfighter, DE Barb
    Ultras- DE Barb ULE
    OCG- Maybe someday
    ADOM projects- Overheat style LP -maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Overheat View Post
    Sell all your best items to Waldenbrook, pick them up, anger Waldenbrook, re-equip items, kill Waldenbrook, sac gold. Even lawful gods love you for it.

You need to juggle around your alignment a little more than with other classes.
    It also used to mean that changing your alignment toward L was really tedious. But now we have the "repeat last action" button. So sacrifice 1 gold at a N or L altar and then hold that button for 1 minute or so.

Yes.

afaik he got buffed a little
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Chaos Knights don't have any downsides that I'm aware of.

You know there is another climbing set that side of the world?

Welcome back, have fun exploring the revised Drakalor Chain.
    Learn to learn.

Try talking to people and you'll learn quickly. The starting corruptions might even make the talking requirement optional.

Chaos Knights are a tricky class to play, very powerful from the get go, but with a lot of doors closed as long as they're chaotic (and decreased power if not so). Candle-born trollish CKs are brutal, so I'd recommend that combo if you want to check the class out.

Welcome back to ADOM. All the changes since 1.1.1 will prevent you from leaving again for a very long time
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Chaos Knights don't have any downsides that I'm aware of.

You know there is another climbing set that side of the world?

Welcome back, have fun exploring the revised Drakalor Chain.
    I didn't feel like grinding for 4-5 levels to get my climbing to 100. Also, only had 18 Willpower.
    Ultras- DE Barb ULE
    OCG- Maybe someday

Early crownings are a bit harder than they used to be. I find that I normally amass enough gold to crown right around the time I'm thinking about the ToEF. If you want to crown quite early, livesac is probably your main option now, though there's a few other race-specific methods that still work well too (cooked food for hurthlings + summoners).

Many quests are unavailable to you as C, most notably the healing quests. As N or L, you will take damage per turn if you don't have fire resistance, and will lose access to all of your sweet class powers. As noted, your starting corruptions can very much make or break a game--starting with something particularly nasty (your body needs a lot of will to hold up, say) can make the early game a nightmare. Chaos knights play very differently from most other classes, and take a bit of getting used to.

Herbs can still train stats, but only up to your potential maximum (actually, there are still a few bugs/exploits to circumvent this). Mountains of stoma are not so useful anymore, but the other herbs more or less work the same. If you're a fan of herbs, gardening has gotten a major buff and is now pretty sweet (you can extract seeds from flowering plants).

The only change to the ACW that I'm aware of is that he is resistant to certain disablers now.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    The only change to the ACW that I'm aware of is that he is resistant to certain disablers now.
    Which ones? I just needed one cursed invis potion to finish him. I don't want later guys to die because he isn't like he was in 1.1.1

I learned about the gardening buff, and it is nice if you only get herbs in the big room. Still annoying you give up the only guaranteed wand of cold to get it though.
    Ultras- DE Barb ULE
    OCG- Maybe someday

I think confusion no longer works on the ACW. Maybe paralysis too. I don't think it has been thoroughly documented yet.

Gardening is a good reason to play as a hurthling. They have probably the best skillset for a large number of classes now, IMHO.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I think confusion no longer works on the ACW. Maybe paralysis too. I don't think it has been thoroughly documented yet.
    I can confirm paralysis doesn't work.
    "And light there be!"

Which ones? I just needed one cursed invis potion to finish him. I don't want later guys to die because he isn't like he was in 1.1.1

I learned about the gardening buff, and it is nice if you only get herbs in the big room. Still annoying you give up the only guaranteed wand of cold to get it though.
    potions don't work every time, my experience is it is dependant on dex but that could just be luck.