Thread: The Adom Strategy Guide lives again

Default The Adom Strategy Guide lives again

Given my affinity for lost causes and old documentation it should come as no surprise that I took it upon myself to give the old Adom Strategy Guide, which last version dated from magical 1998, a revision. No huge changes here -the tips and tricks on it are still very solid to this day-, just style edits, tweaks and additions. I also removed versions 1 and 2 (they overlap with the AdomFAQ and would require too much rewriting to be up to par) and 11 (a fledgling section about necromancers) bringing the total number of sections down to nine. I tried to rewrite in the spirit of the original document, which was light in spoilers and focused on tips and tricks and basics of Ancardian dungeon crawling.

The new version is up at this link. The link to the old version in the Beginner Information thread was appropriately updated. This was a quick and dirty job so I will appreciate any comments, suggestions and feedback of any kind - proofreading my own work is not always my forte.

Happy reading and happy hunting!

Edit 8.11.2013: edition 11 is up at this link.
    Last edited by aerol; 11-08-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

A few notes:
    -Section 2: Should have something on alarm traps. These can be very useful for clearing dangerous tension rooms or other nasty monsters (eternal guardians!)
    -Section 3: Darkness can be used to attack monsters who can't see in darkness as well. Not as effective as 1.1.1, but you can still get some free hits in.
    -Section 4: There's a lot that could be added here.
    -Section 5: I believe unlocked doors can indeed have traps. Doors can also be opened with a knock spell or knocking wand (the latter is ranged). There's also skills for unlocking doors and disarming traps. Huge rocks and anvils can also be thrown at doors to break them down (though they can be destroyed in the process, which makes risking a valuable anvil a generally poor investment). Cursed keys can set off traps.
    -Section 6: As of pre17, you can set it so that you will switch with non-hostile monsters by default when you bump into them.
    -Section 7: Scrolls of vermin control can sometimes help with breeders. Multiple target attacks such as bolt spells or wands are much better than melee for crowd clearing.
    -Section 8: Starsign analysis needs work. Raven is very underrated in this analysis: The speed and early RCT are far, far more important than the pet benefits, and are great for every class--Raven is probably the top starsign now that Candle has been reduced. Unicorn, Wolf, and Falcon are very weak starsigns. Analysis is a bit weird for some of them too (Rangers survive just fine in the wilderness and Falcon is of little use to them).
    -Section 9: Attacking karmics first removes Fate and Luck, then adds Curse, then adds Doom. In addition to bows and crossbows, thrown rocks are common and work well too. In a pinch, you can throw spears, axes, hammers, and even shields reasonably well if you have room to pick them up. Killing karmics with pet may be an option.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I have managed to pump out a revision incorporating many of JellySlayer's suggestions above. I've put up the link on the first post. Feedback welcome!
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Seems good. If you are ever looking to add new sections, dungeon rivers are probably the next thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Overheat View Post
    Seems good. If you are ever looking to add new sections, dungeon rivers are probably the next thing.
    A splendid idea. Underground rivers were not around at the time the original guide was put together. Given that the original Adom Strategy Guide was a team effort to begin with and I do not have a lot of time on my hands right now, would anybody be up for writing a small section about dealing with dungeon rivers? I would consolidate it into the guide as the new section 9.