Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: getting a Wand of Frost

Default getting a Wand of Frost

In some ways, I know a lot about this game, and in some ways I'm pretty ignorant.

Some of you 133t types out there, please help me out on this:

I'm ready to hit the ToEF with my orc barbarian, but I am currently at the cavernous level below the Tomb of the High King, and I have no way across the lake. I have ground out a wand of frost here before, but it's not happening for me this game.

Where would be the best place for me to grind out a wand of frost?

(I could go do the ToEF now, but I want to do this first and then hit the ToEF on the way back to the main dungeon.)

1. Guth'Alak gives you one if you complete his quest.
    2. Try the rift for frost bolt book
    3. Use bridge building skill instead

4. Some monsters also have cold attacks.

Ah, thanks for your suggestions.

1. Guth'Alak gives you one if you complete his quest.
    Already did the Healer quest. In retrospect, I should have done the druid quest, but I wanted Healing to minimise the healing I need to use from other sources early.

2. Try the rift for frost bolt book
    Ha ha. I'm an Orc Barbarian. I have a book of Frost Bolt already, it's teleported me once and drained my health another time.

3. Use bridge building skill instead
    Oh god, no. Lugging all those logs all that way? My skill is only about 30 or so.

4. Some monsters also have cold attacks.
    Yeah, I know, after nearly being frozen to death 3 separate times before I got a source of see invisible and cold resistance. This is probably the best bet, if I find an ogre mage or ice vortex in the cavernous levels.

But I still think the wand is the best option in this case. Where would be the best place to grind one out? I have plenty of booze to charge it with.

I was in the same situation previously, I farmed the infinite dungeon. I wasn't too deep, levels 3-7. Good luck!

Well, if you have a wand of wonder and plenty of booze you could try your luck with that and then bookcast it if you have enough PP+HP and recover the lost stats with morgia.

Mana and Wi stat raised max PP. Strenght, Wi and To raise max HP

There is a certain guaranteed artifact armour that grants immunity to cold, did you not collect it?

Wands of cold aren't extremely common, sorry I don't know item DLs nor care about them.

The Ancient Mummy Wrapping gives you both See Invisible and Cold Immunity, so Ogre Magi shouldn't be a problem in the future.

I usually leave the Healing/Herbalism choice as long as possible, until I find a wand of cold. Candle stands in for healing (mostly) and herbs are not nearly as powerful now.
    Closers- GE Wizard, DE Beastfighter, DE Barb
    Ultras- DE Barb ULE
    OCG- Maybe someday
    ADOM projects- Overheat style LP -maybe.

If you get your health to ~1000, you can just swim across the lake...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I usually just leave out the TotH if I don't get access to a cold spell in time. I am quite sure that the danger level needn't be too high, so I guess you'd best go to a place with little background corruption in order to grind for the wand. But maybe finding a monster to help you would be the better option.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    If you get your health to ~1000, you can just swim across the lake...
    First you have to train rocks high enough to take down the door with a huge rock and kill the skeletal king from a distance, though
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.