Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your opinions on making PC stop multiple turn actions when spotting a hostile?

Yes, wilderness is an excellent place, but it is not always practical to go back up to the wilderness. Hence, one is forced really to try and cover all bases while performing these actions. Don't worry, I doubt anyone will convince me otherwise. I strive to make every character successful, so I won't let some monster ruin that.

As an aside, we briefly mentioned Listening earlier. Although it is an excellent skill, letting you know what is going on, on the level; I feel there is at least one thing that it lets you know about that doesn't seem appropriate. That being the existence of an altar on the level, to me something else should maybe determine whether the PC senses a pious aura, I'm not certain what it should be though? For thematic reasons. Mana? But that is also not entirely connected.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-04-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    As an aside, we briefly mentioned Listening earlier. Although it is an excellent skill, letting you know what is going on, on the level; I feel there is at least one thing that it lets you know about that doesn't seem appropriate. That being the existence of an altar on the level, to me something else should maybe determine whether the PC senses a pious aura, I'm not certain what it should be though? For thematic reasons. Mana? But that is also not entirely connected.
    That sounds reasonable, although the message is a bit ambiguous. Does "sensing" a pious aura means the PC hears something, or that he feels it?

On a sidenote, I for one would like to see Listening extended as an active skill. Right now, it always says for a short moment everything is silent when 'a'pplied unless you're deaf, and that doesn't make a lot of sense when you're e.g. getting swarmed by a tension room in the ToEF (apparently those monsters shut up and the extremely hot fire doesn't sizzle?).

There could be different messages for special levels, dungeon features (e.g. applying it in a level with a pool could have a chance to say you hear water splashing in the distance/nearby, applying it standing on the Mana anomaly could say you hear a strange hum, etc.). It would add some depth to the game.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    That sounds reasonable, although the message is a bit ambiguous. Does "sensing" a pious aura means the PC hears something, or that he feels it?
    Well, off the top of me head, I can only recall 2 instances where sense is used. The other being 'tension'. In most other cases wrt the Listening skill the game uses the word 'hear' and not "You sense a distant wind." or "You sense the sound of rushing water!", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    On a sidenote, I for one would like to see Listening extended as an active skill. Right now, it always says for a short moment everything is silent when 'a'pplied unless you're deaf, and that doesn't make a lot of sense when you're e.g. getting swarmed by a tension room in the ToEF (apparently those monsters shut up and the extremely hot fire doesn't sizzle?).

There could be different messages for special levels, dungeon features (e.g. applying it in a level with a pool could have a chance to say you hear water splashing in the distance/nearby, applying it standing on the Mana anomaly could say you hear a strange hum, etc.). It would add some depth to the game.
    Personally, I would prefer if the game tells you it is automatically used, like when you try to apply Healing with a non-healer. That would also eliminate one of the Confusion staggering circumvention exploits.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Personally, I would prefer if the game tells you it is automatically used, like when you try to apply Healing with a non-healer.
    That could work too, and it would be much easier to implement.
    "And light there be!"