Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Well, this is good for Whippy and others to know too. You hit the nail on the head there, by stating that you do not remember. With that problem playing spoiled or unspoiled won't make much difference. You need to somehow force your brain into becoming cognitive. The best and first thing I can suggest is to completely stop making backups of your savefiles, the second is to start reading in-game information and perhaps even the manual again would do good. Try to always think what would be the best thing to do now, instead of just mashing on.

Some things I noticed and still recall( it was a few weeks back) are that you do not change tactics, you do not equip some items when found, you do not use missile combat and many more, but doing what I said above will make all these things come naturally over time.
    Now, I just lost my reply post. I swear I must just be becoming feeble. This will be shorter.

Thanks, but that doesn't sound like me. My first video this weak, I swear most of my dialogue was counting 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 because I was using T+/- rather than the function keys. I glanced the first in that series from 11 months, which was the last time I played. I saw some rocks and some tactics, so without getting too deep into it, maybe he was just a troll that wasn't worried about melee in the early game. I also have missile weapons well-ingrained, going back to Angband.

Not to say I'm free from noob mistakes of course. I've had very little wizard play, and I spent a fair bit of time embarassing myself on the server Monday. ( You know, it turns out you don't have to tunnel around locked doors if you have a knock spell. )

Was wondering if you wanted to expand on not equipping items. I'm not afraid of cursed items, and generally expect to be almost all red by the time I get to Dwarftown. If I think it might be better, I generally wear it, so idk.

Hey, the backups I must clarify are only for backup purposes in case of a crash. As mentioned in my current rant thread, I lost a nice archer to a backup, and didn't even bother to reload that because it was at least an hour old, and would feel like cheating to play through the same level. Fully agree that you can't learn much if you cheat the consequences of your actions.

But spoilers? I want to hedge some: I wish there was a good way to implement spoiler levels. (It's been tried). I think what made me cross-over was altars. I had be smited enough times that I completely avoided them for years. I feel there are plenty of little things that almost have to be spoiled. After hundreds of games I had never known the normal use for potions of holy water, because I had preconceived notions that were wrong. I doubt I would have ever happen upon the easier way to learn the swimming skill. And now I can see how to figure out herbs, but I never bothered to figure out, because without knowing their effects I never invested in herbalism and so always had bad herbs which is like negative reinforcement. Or maybe I couldn't have figured all of herbs out, since there are different methods to use them.

Feel free to spectate me. I think I'm going to stick to the server (but apparently I still have to disable the 'Q' key *sigh*). But I do tend to play slowly, wouldn't want to bore anyone without warning.
    Last edited by Esoteric Rogue; 12-05-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: minor edit

I think it was a Troll Healers yes, going into the SMC as a first dungeon. For the record, I also never knew about swimming or how to use some of the herbs. Moss and morgia I couldn't figure out and I never really bothered with trying to get stable herbs patterns. In fact, in the year of playing prior to my first victory I never even harvested herbs.

There is many things in ADOM you don't need to know and can still win. Knowing these things maybe helps me now, but I still think I would have preferred to still be somewhere in the midst of mystery.

Playing slow as a struggling or new or experienced player is a good habit in my view, maybe I'll spectate you the weekend, when I have slightly more time. Life is very busy.

Edit - Wrt to hedging spoilers, there is some good spoilers(hints) in the game, maybe they can be expanded a bit yes.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-04-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    irc #adom channel.
    This link doesn't want to work for me, is it correct?

I happen to be using https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/ web client.

This is the current link https://webchat.freenode.net/ but I had issues with it disconnecting so I just installed mirc again.

I should add here, after watching a bit of Esoteric Rogues's latest video. I did say, you should equip and try out more items found, but one must still consider whether it is a good idea to use or equip this item now. Equipping and using items blindly can have dire consequences, especially with low piety/methods of uncursing, etc. This is not only for you Esoteric Rogue, but applies to everyone. Being "all red" when reaching Dwarftown is not promoted. In ADOM there is no need to take unnecessary risks. Rather play it safe.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-08-2013 at 01:15 AM.

There seems to be one problem I face more often than not. Water. With my current character, I am in the druid dungeon 6 and there is like a stretch of 4-5 tiles of water before I can reach the other side. Usually I would just swim through and not give regards to most of my equipment or HP but I want to start progressing to better things instead of constantly dying when I reach the PC.

Do I wait? leave it until I have some other means of protecting my equipment... This could mean that when i reach DD7 then it could be quite difficult later in the game?
    Do I just plow through giving no cares about what happens to reach the next level.

I've rolled a decent attribute set with a High Elven Paladin born in Dragon. already got 22 strength (I would imagine great for a high elf) and got 20 Dx

Rivers are a pain in the ass, but they are part of many an early game. Believe it or not, but they have actually been made more early game friendly.

There is a few options depending on your character, piety, items, dungeon features. If there isn't a way to cross, don't risk death. The rewards for killing the Druid are not essential.
    They are nice. Personally I don't do that quest until my Character is pretty buff anyway. Wrt a waterproof blanket,
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-08-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Well, yesterday I had another paladin (died, oh what a suprise :P) I literally touched ONE tile of water and a blessed mithril sword and a blessed scroll of identify went straight away.

There are some items that are particularly vulnerable to water damage. Must you enter the water with them? Are you sure about the sword?
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-08-2013 at 05:50 PM.