Thread: 80% loses not from death.

Default 80% losses not from death.

So, I've been back playing ADOM the last three days. I've seemed to develop a real penchant for losing my games.

1) I accidentally ended task while screwing around with edit configs or backup batch file.
    2) I had a mysterious closing of the program. Was while I was screwing with video resolution and OBS. Just plain weird. *shrug* My backup failed because I had switched to DOS, and my path had the wrong root.
    3) I had a BSOD. Now, I have the backup, but let's say I rage-quit. For all I know its a couple hours old, why bother. What I accomplished is gone.
    *) WOHOO! Finished a game: Died in SMC very early.
    4) Quit prematurely on server while screwing with Sage features and disabled sage.*

1 and 3 suck as they were youtube series. I'm a pretty poor commentator, but nobody want to hear "thanks for watch, tune into the next episode where we'll see whether or not we continue the exciting adventure! Opps, guess not!".

I was very attached to all 4, I think particularly because I was recording. #1, #3, & #4 were all about lvl 13. #1 & #4 had teleport spell and teleport control. #4 had nice herbs. Two characters had aquired Detect Traps, three dudes had complete the puppy quest alive, two peeps had acquired swimming -- All these vanishers felt like better games than normal.

First, let me admit my failings. I'm a computer geek who has been playing this since 95. At the same time, I'm old and obviously getting senial if I'm ignoring the details of the close window dialogue in #1, I fail to notice that a one-line batchfile using %USERPROFILE% isn't going to work when I've only mounted a non-system disk in DOSBox,
    and I cannot to bother take the time to use a test character to jerk around with settings like #4. So, my failures are mine.

Still, I always makes me wondering what people with even less ADOM and computer experience are going through. It must have been brought up before, but I really think an auto-save should be implemented ... that is why I moved to the server, assuming that my BSOD won't result in character loss. (and I suffered a server-noob mistake.) If players are computer literate enough to delete the prc as required to fix a crash, and able to edit a cfg as required to adjust some basic feature behaviors, then they have enough skill to backup saves and save-scum. Sobeit. But that still misses the point, that's rather a manual backup than an auto-save. My Windows 7 only BSOD ever 3 days, but it might very well be after I've been playing for hours and haven't though to backup. I just can't imagine all the casual Steam players tolerating as much hassle as this can be.

Sorry that I suck.
    Last edited by Esoteric Rogue; 12-04-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: minor edit

Man, I have had Windows 7 installed in 3 computers (two home, one work) for like 3 years, and in all that time I have seen like two BSODs in one of the computers (problems with the video card) and zero in the other two. The days where Windows BSODs were something everyone experienced on a weekly basis are happily long gone, so if they are so common for you, your system has a problem. You should reinstall your Windows or something. (but yes, I agree autosave would be nice, there is an RFE on the issue forum).

In 15 years of playing this game, I can probably count on the fingers of one hand all the situations where I lost my char because of something else than in-game death.
    Around twice must have been due to power outage. Twice due to some bugs - a monster picking too much items and crashing the game or some other freak error.
    Other than, I don't remember anything more. I guess the game just keeps running very stable for me. I'm a sort of computer geek, messing around with stuff on my machine all the time.
    In the past I even wrote small scripts to save and load my savegames when I needed some assistance with my savescumming, clear adom.prc etc. The game still worked and didn't crash.
    Maybe I'm just lucky then.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I'd discuss, but it's really a separate topic that my BSOD is rare enough that I don't care to troubleshoot it beyond the basics like reinstalling, updates, & memcheck, and it's my opinion that even if it's tracked down, it's 90% going to be a hardware issue that's out of my hands. The derivative point is that many people have more computer issues than I.

Yes, the game is very stable. What I itemized was not the game crashing, although I did refer to it in summary.

If your Windows 7 BSODs every three days, you really should get that esoteric hardware problem fixed. I've had 7 in my desktop and laptop computers since 2011 - no blue screens in the former, very few on the latter, all caused by apparently buggy WLAN drivers which don't carry on well with pressing Fn+F1 to turn Wi-Fi off.

ADOM had bugs of its own that could crash a game and lose a PC forever, but that's a thing of the past (at least in the ASCII version), as they were fixed and I haven't had a single issue since the prerelease phase started. PRC files are also gone, your valid points about having to seek and delete them were addressed early on. You can even run multiple instances now Auto save has also been suggested, and by the looks of jt's comments on that RFE, it will get implemented, which is great. Making backup saves are a custom I have from the 1.1.1 days, as stable as a version might be.
    "And light there be!"

Okay, is a tech support thread now

Well, to be honest, I'm still happy. I'm coming down off of 4 BSOD's per days with 64xp. Finally figured that was dxg.sys, the D3D graphics driver. It appeared, according to MS article, that was fixed in 32-bit XP, but no such luck I saw for 64. So, nothing I could do about it other than pick another OS. Since XP is out the door anyway, I switched to 7 on Oct 6th.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a power fluctuation. My home's wiring is shit. I can't even run the sweet UPS's I got [APC BackUPS pro 1400] when Earthlink closed... OMG I just realized I have another one, a much smaller -- wait, no, I don't know why this one has jumper cables... now I'm scared and understand why I hid it. APC Backups-600 Manual didn't help me, I cannot just leave powered roach clips lying on the floor. I see some YouTube videos...

time time time