Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SIck

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    don't eat rabid dog corpses, either.
    Except while wearing a certain amulet, wink, wink.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    It's unfortunate for new posters who maybe don't want such things, but it's pretty much unavoidable that if you ask a question here, a spoiler answer will result.
    Personally I can't imagine people who come to the game forum, ask about something and expect to see a cryptic answer.

For instance, you have to be a very intuitive person to understand that VD stands for Village Dungeon (or die in it and check the death message). If I were a newbie, your particular answer wouldn't have helped me one bit.
    Someone once posted here that he couldn't find the Caverns of Chaos. I don't see it as something rare.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Someone once posted here that he couldn't find the Caverns of Chaos. I don't see it as something rare.
    I'd imagine this is actually common, or rather, a common problem whether or not it's asked. The first few times I played ADOM, I could not for the life of me work out what anything was, or what the main goal was. This was the 1990s though. Forums and such on the internet weren't quite so developed, and most of the net was on geocities. Answers were not easy to find :P

While I do agree with the spirit of non-spoilers, I believe in delivering the answer that the original post asked for, spoiling something if necessary, but no more than what is necessary. "Kobolds make you sick" and "the herb curaria mancox can cure your sickness" are fine.

Going off on a tangent to detail how to find, grow, and farm herbs, for example, is a spoiler i'd consider to be unnecessary.

Anyway, I think the thread did cover the myriad ways of curing sickness, as well as advising one to be aware that eating kobolds will induce sickness. If nothing else, find somewhere safe to wait it out Preferably in front of the food shop in Terinyo. Rations don't cure anything, but sickness can take a while and you don't want to starve to death waiting... or be forced to fight for food in your vulnerable state!
    Last edited by LFk; 12-06-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Although someone comes to the game forum for assistance, I think one should still point them in the right direction.

Rather than give him/her a direct answer, rather inforrm them that ADOM is a game of self-fullfilment and they should seek the answer from within. That way they'll realize that hey I'm missing something here and at least give them the opportunity to not become a victim of spoilers. Spoiling their experience and growth.

If as a child I ask my parent for money and they always give, I would never have the need to become a self-sustaining individual. Give the newbies a chance, they aren't idiots.

Giving newbies more than they need is simply spoiling their chance to experience the game as was intended by the Creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    they aren't idiots
    So don't you think they would be capable of saying "no spoilers please" if they don't want spoilers? The guy came here and asked. He could have said something like "please point me in the right direction", but didn't. Don't you think he would have been smart enough to add such a phrase if that was what he wanted?

Newbies aren't kids and they don't need to be protected. If someone chooses to find out something about the game by asking here, reading a guidebook or watching a youtube "let's play", it's their own choice. It's not up to you to decide if someone else reads spoilers or not.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Of course it isn't my choice what they decide to do. But it is my choice what I tell them. If they think, lol, what a dick. That is their choice too.

That does not change the fact that spoilers are bad for them.

Quote Originally Posted by zaneroland View Post
    ...also how do you heal eating rations does not seem to work. i wait to heal but it takes an hour.
    I believe the answer you were looking for is two keystrokes-- w 5 --to rest in place.

(Edit: also praying is pretty quick.)
    Last edited by Esoteric Rogue; 12-07-2013 at 03:39 AM.

How do you give an answer with spoiler tags? I can see a case for giving an indirect response for a person to check out, and then, underneath, giving a direct response in spoiler tags so they can check it out if they're still stuck.

EDIT Looks like I was right

Thank you!