Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very, very slow

Unhappy Very, very slow

I looked around on the forums a bit to see if anyone else is discussing this and didn't see anything. I got the pre20 public release lately and while it's mostly awesome, it runs horribly, horribly slowly on my otherwise quite capable computer. Obviously the old ADOM never lagged a bit and was almost instant in saving/loading, but the graphical version has massive input lag that varies from maybe .2 seconds to sometimes a full second. Hit a key, wait, wait, wait, response. It makes playing the game very hard. The lag seems to vary depending on my character's position on the local map. Loading and saving is also getting to be a minute-plus long wait with my level 15 character.

Is the game this slow for everyone else, and we're just waiting on it to be eventually optimized? Or am I having a unique problem?

Edit: To clarify, the game is laggy w/ software or openGL rendering, windowed or fullscreen, and messing with compatibility settings doesn't seem to effect anything.
    Last edited by sfresh; 12-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.

run some antivirus programs and check your task manager to see if any running process/service is consuming one of your processor cores.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I reported it more than once:
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2389
    It's slow, and it's worse in areas with trees, or ToEF, related areas.

I suspect there are two issues: certain images with alpha are slow to draw (trees)
    and overall speed has some big improvements that can be made.

I found the game to lag the most while loading new tiles or soundfiles. Almost as if the hardrive access time is not optimal. Maybe all images and sound should just be loaded at application start.

Yeah, it has noticeable latency. In my machine I wouldn't say it can go to a full second, except in forest wilderness encounters, those are really slow.

In most places, it's like maybe 100 or 200 ms, but that's definitely enough to be annoying.

In the ASCII version, if I find a tension room of pushovers, I can hold the directional key (yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't, but I bet many of us do) and all the monsters will be killed in a second. In the tiled version it takes a much longer time.

Loading tiles also takes a little while but I don't care much about that, to be honest, as it's not done that often. The normal latency when moving an attacking bothers me more because even if it's smaller, it's there all the time and affects things like tension rooms as mentioned. Although in practice I just press F10 to do that

I hope they optimize at some point. It's normal that it isn't optimized yet, the normal order when programming is first making stuff work and then optimizing.

I have the same thing when I try any graphic setting different from the regular tiles. Even with isometric it runs really slow.
    Is it also slow when you play in ASCII mode? [EDIT after reading more carefully:] For some of you ASCII runs fast, obviously. So it's a problem with the graphics, anyway - and probably connected to how fast NotEye works on your PC.
    Last edited by Moeba; 12-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Just tested on my machine (macbook pro, 2Ghz inel core i7)
    Sitting idle in text mode, it takes 45% cpu.
    Sitting idle in Terinyo, uses 68%

Music and sound off, fyi. OpenGL mode, not full screen.

Recently there were some issues concerning Macs specifically (can't find anything on the tracker nowadays). Maybe they are still in effect.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

We haven't really optimized the game, so there is always room for improvements. The following problems are known:

- ADOM is really slow in the forest: the reason are the large amount of transparent trees that are drawn over each other. I think we can optimize that by reducing the number of overlays or using different graphics.

- ADOM has a high CPU usage: NotEye always redraws the whole screen even if no changes occurred. This happens with ASCII tiles too. The ADOM versions without NotEye use a different rendering routine which only updates the modified parts. I'm sure we can make NotEye work in the same way (this probably won't help in maps where the whole screen is redrawn, e.g. the TOEF).

- the rendering takes a long time, even for the default 15 FPS: a lot of the rendering work is done in the Lua scripts, maybe we can move some of the routines to the "C++" part of the code, which could improve the performance. The low FPS could also be the cause for some of the sluggishness, increasing it might help but will cause higher CPU usage.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

I have a pretty capable computer. I always have to adjust adom/noteye to run at 60fps. 15fps feels unplayable to me.
    Additionally, I have to run it in 800x500. Higher resolutions cause framerate drops that I'm not willing to suffer.
    My orc thief just died.