Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savescumming abolished?

Default Savescumming abolished?

I wasn't able to find a recent post about this, and I apologize if it exists. I realize this is a touchy topic for some people. I'm not trying to start a heated argument.
    Anyways, I used to play ADOM quite a bit. Moreso than almost any other game I've ever played.
    I'm a save scummer, and I don't mind admitting it. Extreme difficulty is not something I look for in a game, but endless depth and complexity are things I treasure.
    It's been a couple years or more since I played, and last night I had a dream of ADOM.. So today I find that it's in development again. Pretty awesome.
    I downloaded the pre-release and tested it out. I'm delighted to see it being worked on again, but no save file? Does it matter how someone enjoys this great game? I will buy it simply because I played it for free for so many years, but it is unfortunately unlikely that my interest will last long enough for me to enjoy all the wonderful changes that have been made. I doubt I'm alone on this.
    If I am wrong about this please let me know. And be nice please, I know I'm a soulless cheater but that does not mean I'm C-.

-Rich

Per programming standards that have been the norm for some time now, the .svg files (and all other local files) are now stored in your Documents folder rather than the application folder itself.

I see. Thank you very much.. I shall now spend a large amount of time reliving the good old days. Can't wait for the finished product.

Worthless heathen who shall burn in the infernos of hell itself, if I'm not mistaken the Steam version of ADOM 1.2.0 is going to be released with a full savegame feature. Though we're still pretty far away from that.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

You really should try playing without savescumming. It's much better. Honestly.

I don't know how it is to savescum all the time, but from the few times I unfortunately did after a crash. I have to agree that it feels pretty awful to play a character through the same time.

Playing with a character that has one future is much more exciting. In my opinion it is wasting of time, growth and fun.

To each their own.. ADOM intentionally made it easy to reload savegames if you want to. Doesn't count as an "official" win, but if you enjoy playing like that, by all means do it. It's just a computer game, wasting time is the whole point.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

It wasn't made easy, man. There is simply no easy way to prevent it. ADOM is not just a computer game, it has taught me much more about life and to think properly than any other computer game and I have played many computer games.

I agree, although I'd say it the other way around; other computer games make you think there's no chance of losing due to the savegames and all.
    But I won't scold savescummers, firstly I've done it myself and secondly, even when savescumming you need to manually create your own backup, so at least you have to do something for a safeguard. It's still more realistic, that's what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    It wasn't made easy, man. There is simply no easy way to prevent it.
    I think there are ways to prevent savescumming if you really insist on it as a game designer? You can force people to play online, and there are possibilities with the registry too, at least on Windows. ADOM doesn't have a save/load and is of course made to be played without it, but it doesn't go to great lengths to prevent reloading either.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.