Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now that I can't clean my ears while confused...

Default Now that I can't clean my ears while confused...

I drop one arrow instead. If I'm still confused, I pick it back up.

I'm curious though, what does everyone do to, say, not fall into the chaos piranha lake?

Never got into that situation, but if it should happen, I thought I might try to pray. Praying is definitely possible while confused, so I hope that it works.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Unequip item.
    Equip item.
    Unequip item.
    Equip item..
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

The idea is to get all these workarounds fixed, so we should really report them to the Creator.

Anyway, what I find works is to simply not get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    The idea is to get all these workarounds fixed, so we should really report them to the Creator.
    I'm guessing that if/when that is done, the only ways would be praying, freezing large chunks of the lake, or using a wand of knocking to lure and dispatch him in a safe place.

Also, I find that the skeletal warriors he summons now are more annoying than confusion.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Stop ruining everything!
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

nathrakh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Stop ruining everything!
    Stop fighting.. ADOM will change and it'll never be the same... Just let go and try to forget.
    1.png

I agree with stingray wholeheartedly. We need to ban any action that is not movement. Ban applying the first aid skill, as that wastes a turn in the same way as the abomination that was ear cleaning did. I think the alchemy skill application scum still works too, as probably does bridge building attempts, cooking, fletchery, detect traps, disarm traps, gardening, haggling, necromancy, picking pockets, or ventriloquism. Not to mention the possibility of chatting, giving items, playing an instrument, using a holy symbol, etc... I would say that even the attempt to use/drink/eat any item in the inventory while confused should actually just result in an instadeath. That is the only way to teach these scummers to stop messing around and take adom seriously.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I agree with stingray wholeheartedly. We need to ban any action that is not movement. Ban applying the first aid skill, as that wastes a turn in the same way as the abomination that was ear cleaning did. I think the alchemy skill application scum still works too, as probably does bridge building attempts, cooking, fletchery, detect traps, disarm traps, gardening, haggling, necromancy, picking pockets, or ventriloquism. Not to mention the possibility of chatting, giving items, playing an instrument, using a holy symbol, etc... I would say that even the attempt to use/drink/eat any item in the inventory while confused should actually just result in an instadeath. That is the only way to teach these scummers to stop messing around and take adom seriously.
    Ech, where are these tactics most common anyway? The Chaos Piranha lake? That's so many bases to cover.
    Just add an extra dice roll that makes the ice bridges break randomly. You can't dodge the bridge building skill forever. I would wholeheartedly support this being added, without telling anyone.

Anyway, It's obviously not a high priority, but creating amusing failures to all those things you listed and more would actually be pretty cool. Always generating some kind of alchemistic catastrophe, smearing the ration on your face and going blind, raising a half-rotting zombie via necromancy, confusing yourself further with ventriloquism, spilling a potion on your armor and corroding/rusting it ...

Sure, lots of unnecessary time/effort when major parts of the game are still being developed, but if ADOM is ever in a polished, finished state one day and the creator is just looking for things to do (maybe when ADOM is a just hobby once more and not also a crowdfunded obligation of sorts), i'd imagine these are the things to do
    Last edited by LFk; 12-27-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Doing custom programming for every little thing the player could attempt while confused would probably be too much work. But probably the exploits could be fixed simply by adding a check that if you finish a turn and haven't moved, then (there is a chance that) you stagger anyway and the game moves you randomly. This could be, say, a 25% chance (not a 100% chance as if you actually try to move).

It shouldn't be too difficult to program, it's realistic, it should fix the exploits while giving some chance of actually not being devoured by the piranhas if you are lucky and try to not move, and I don't think it would have any undesirable side effects, right?