Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tackling the new quests & maps for ADOM

Default Tackling the new quests & maps for ADOM

Here's a link to the blog post about adding new maps and quests to ADOM: http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.c...-for-adom.html

Please use this thread for extended discussions as I will follow it closely while I start to work on the new additions.
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

As a reminder of myself: This already has been discussed at one time: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...here-be-choice
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

A range I often get stuck on with not enough to do at my level but grind is like the high teens, 15 - 21, prepping to do ToEF, but done most of what I can handle in CoC, overworld locations, but dont have gear or level enough to take on ToEF.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrstark View Post
    A range I often get stuck on with not enough to do at my level but grind is like the high teens, 15 - 21, prepping to do ToEF, but done most of what I can handle in CoC, overworld locations, but dont have gear or level enough to take on ToEF.
    I also agree with this, and perhaps a reward or item during that quest would grant a chance for a ring of ice or fireproof blanket (probably not both)

Levels 10-20 could use some more high stakes high payoff areas/quests like the Darkforge, the Pyramid, the Graveyard or dwarven questline (minus random monster quest).

Though frankly the problem with boring parts of ADOM is "too much uninteresting stuff" rather than "not enough interesting stuff".

Which PC level ranges are right now the most boring according to your impression?
    Levels 25-45.
    What kind of maps or quests for beginners might be particularly helpful / useful?
    Are these about ADOM beginners or early game?
    Early game is quite interesting right now, although 1 external location (near the CoC) might be reasonable.
    If you are talking about ADOM beginners, it is quite hard to add anything that will not impact the balance of the game of experienced players.
    What may be good is a "tutorialesque" quest where you are given a series of simple task by someone and get a set of basic items (healing potions, some food, etc). This is a standard thing in RPGs (not roguelikes I guess), but can teach new players about simple things as starvation, status conditions etc.

Following this line an old adventurer's hut (around Terinyo) can be added with upper floor and an underground level where action takes place.
    Which kind of tasks and later quests are currently very hard to understand / solve without additional external spoilers?
    1) Ultras? Not sure which intermediate quests can remedy that however - perhaps a mid-game quest given by the oracle (and itself hinted by saved Khelly) in exchange for full information (as far as I remember she tells you what to do when you already have the trinity).

It would also be nice to learn that Sharad Waador's quest must be completed before you are given a quest to kill Filk. Perhaps a series of murder contracts may be given by the assassin prince which in the end allude to Sharad's problem with something like "go to unreal cave system, find the wyrm who needs help with his little trouble".
    Are there any in game story topics / legends that you would like to see covered in more detail?
    1) Banshee's backstory quest with an alternate way to defeat her.
    2) Shissyrixius's quest once you've reunited her with Blup.
    3) The Infinite Dungeon and its nature. If this can be done as a after-win possibility, it would be awesome. Some people already try to dive as much as possible instead of leaving Drakalor Chain - why not expand this mechanic as an official in-game thing?

a new special boss monster / quest / map system
    the immortalization of the mega legend donors (which will get interwoven with a larger story arc I'm working on)
    For the latter I don't seek any input right now.
    I will indulge in self-promotion despite "no input", but we've created a bunch of ideas (ice & acid more specifically) which can be used for the boss monster or incorporated into quests in this thread.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

>as far as I remember she tells you what to do when you already have the trinity

I recently wanted to see what he said, so I equipped the trinity and chatted to him and all he said was that: "The sword is mightier than the word." I think, that was it. Not very informative in my opinion.

In my opinion, the quests are needed to fill out levels 24 to late 30s. The early game quests get you to 10ish easily, and the DT quests + Pyramid, ToTHK, and DF get you to high teens low twenties pretty easily. The end game dive (deeper temples, BDC possibly) get you to the low to mid 40s, and d50 usually does the rest. But that zone between levels 24ish to early 40s... don't like it. I'd like to see more quests here.

Quest Idea: Reclaim the Dwarven Halls.

I always got the impression that dwarftown is the dwarves in exile, and they had been booted out from someplace greater. I also feel like that's a great untold story about how \he dwarves lost their halls. At level 25-30 or so, Thundarr can offer you one last quest - reclaim the halls. Accepting it causes a second downstairs on DH2 to generate. This leads to DH3-5.

DH 3-4 would be basically like DH1-2: Highly corrupting and dangerous. DH5 would be a special fixed level: Throneroom of the Dwarf King. This level should be non-teleport, and should have "mithril walls" so it's undiggable. Unlike the other DH levels, would are just random rooms connected by halls, this levels should be more linear. At the end of it is the throne room, which reveals the forces that drove the dwarves from the halls. The easy answer would be a balor, but that's a) too much of a tolkien rip off even for me, and b) lessens the impact of d50.

Instead, the boss should be a pack of titans led by a high level named greater titan, Thraindarr's Bane. This name tells you the story without laying it out - Thraindarr obviously being implied to be Thrundarr's ancestor. The nice thing about titans as the boss is that you rarely see em, they would pose a good threat both at range in melee, and i love the idea of dwarf warriors fighting a losing battle against titans only to flee into exile.

Reward: Not sure. Maybe heaps of scrolls of melee damage, accuracy, protection and defense; maybe glod increases the pv and damage of a weapon and armor of your choice by 2d4; maybe glod can forge you a random weapon, with a high chance of being adamantium or eternium and high chance of having an ego; maybe a new dwarven artefact (helm or gauntlets).

-I would like to see a Drakeling village. Perhaps in the middle of that rather large body of water on the map. Or perhaps at the base of (or in) the upcoming volcano.

-The Drakelings have a natural hot spring that sustains them through the cold of winter. The spring has stopped flowing. They beg you to find out why before they freeze.

-Once a year, when the stars are bright and the mists come down from the mountains, the mist elves can be heard at play. If the PC approaches they are startled and run away, but not before they leave something behind by mistake.

-An insane Gnome begs you to bring the sacred stones of the pantheon to him. These stones can only be found by smashing one altar of each alignment. What is the reward for this sacrilige? The gnome swears with the powers of these gems he can make a weapon to slay even Gods.

-The ship of the Dread Pirate Mazridal has been seen moored in a hidden cove on the shores of the lake. His coffers are bursting and his men are drunk on wine and pillage. (This would kind of make sense as a Quest from the Sheriff).

-The Silver Star Rapier, used in the graduation ceremony of each battle cadre of Ratling Duelists has been stolen! The gray whiskered Ratling Duelist Master of the Martial Academy begs you to find it and return it to its rightful place. You could do that, if you can even find it, but will you?

-One quiet evening the sky is lit by a flash and a terrible boom is heard. In the morning a column of smoke can be seen from afar. Something has fallen from the heavens, but what could it be? (It would be awesome if it was something a little different each time. Sometimes a powerful monster, sometimes an item of at least moderate power)
    Last edited by Efed; 01-03-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Adding more

There has also been quite some suggestions within RFEs as "off-topic" posts within those RFEs, but to find them will be job in its own. There has also been some suggestions as to how to improve the character leveling issue in RFEs, which I'm not so certain extra quests will solve much as there are issues with the leveling mechanic itself.