Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tackling the new quests & maps for ADOM

I really like what I read of Jelly Slayer's quest. Stopped reading in the middle of the second instance because I don't want to spoil myself too much, just in case it finds it's way into the game ;-)
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

2 JS

A assume the sword is a two-hander?

Not sure if chaos essence is worth it - AoTME will sill be better than the sword and available at the same level. I really love the cloak though.

The basic premise of these guys is kinda strange -

Another route for the second quest (because someone will try to do it) -
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

A assume the sword is a two-hander?
    When I wrote it, I had it in my mind that the sword would be one-handed. There aren't that many decent one-handed swords in the game, paladin/Justifier aside, and plenty of good two-handers already. OTOH, the sword is maybe a little strong for a one-handed weapon. The stats can be adjusted as needed.

Also a detail that is a bit unnatural is, why do the adventurer guys give you the hilt and the blade? If they don't know about the mythical weapon they should probably just discard them as useless, and if they do know, they should keep it for themselves!
    They don't know about the weapon until Part 3. In the first two sections, the reward that they give you is just a bunch of loot that they were carrying around, that happens to include a broken weapon.

you will have some orbs in the inventory while talking to them - surely you should be able to discuss it with them
    Sure, that makes sense.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    I

This goblin camp is for those low HP characters that don't have an easy means to kill bandit folk, is the impression I got from the posters supporting it originally, which is why I supported it.
    I have to say that I really like this goblin camp idea - but because of a different reason than most here do! While most here think the goblin camp has to help to gain some levels and get a decent or mediocre armor I think otherwise.

First I have to explain why after all those years (and sometimes even winning) I still quite often make a break while doing the healing/herbalism/frostbolt quest and try to do the Kranach quest (though all the other veterans may roll their eyes inside because of that ) . The point why the 3000 gold in the early game are so valuable is NOT because one might buy something from Barnabas - in most cases the really interesting things are not affordable anyway - even with 3000 gold! I see their value otherwise:

1) there are some rare characters that really have food problems in the early game and cannot solve it easily (some are Trolls, some are Druids, some are poor dark elves that have to face exorbitant prices, ... ) and once they've earned the 3000 gold they don't have to worry about it anymore. For these characters 300-500 gold do the job as well, the additional money can be spent later for the first Garth training ...

2) but nearly ALL characters can use the 3000 gold in another way: the first time You meet an coaligned altar You have a big chance to get your piety at least at level "very pleased" and produce some holy water! And You won't tell me that You really don't want to put this cursed girdle/shield off and wait until much later getting a holy water from Thrundarr ...

So what do I want to say:

- Keep the Kranach Quest and its rewards
    - Doing the goblin camp should be a doable task for nearly all characters
    and the reward should help the character to solve his/her food problems
    (for example some large/iron rations and a little gold) but not more

whether the goblin camp quest and the Kranach quest should be related to each other? maybe, maybe not - anything goes ...
    Perhaps the chance for Kranach to find You will rise or fall depending on HOW You did the goblin camp quest ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Biskup
    Are there any in game story topics / legends that you would like to see covered in more detail?
    There are several storylines that I would like to know more about or to see covered in more detail:

1. The weird tome. Maybe this can already be read or used in some way that no one discovered yet. But maybe not. If not, I would love it if it really had some kind of obscure use.
    2. Kherab's third quest. There are rumors that he may have one, with a "spear of raw steel" as reward. This is another potential unsolved mystery, but it would be cool in any case. Maybe the third quest could be to slay Khelavaster in Terinyo, after you saved him?
    3. The demented ratling says that the ancient stone circle was originally built for all three alignments.. it sounds like a possible plot development.
    4. Why does the mad minstrel want you to kill Filk? Maybe Filk could help you to learn how to read or use the weird tome, if you decide to let him live (and perhaps kill the mad minstrel instead)?
    5. (I hope I don't get a lynch mob after me for suggesting this..) If you 'h'andle a tree in the wilderness, some dead leaves drop. Perhaps there could be a small chance that it drops a quest item instead? (Maybe this should only work for one specific tree.)
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Jelly: rosebud_clap.gif
    I really love the fact people come up with cool quest ideas that are not just kill x for y. I'd love for those guys to show upat d50 though if you went lawful so one can do actual teamplay (let them die like flies, still would be epic charge of forces of good on the gate, that said reclaim DH could also be implemented with a team of fighter dwarves that try to help you). Why they'd 'reward' you with broken junk needs a bit of polish though (in evil version no problem, suggests they did consider a broken blade interesting to burden themselves) .

As to goblin camp... Terinyo has no commerce, what are these gobbos doing next to it? Would make more sense to have such between hmv exit and coc, raiding caravans that run between hmv and dt. (with a quest: goodie - raid camp/ evil - raid caravan with said gobbos, not sure what for neutrals)

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Why they keep entering the SMC is a good question though
    I remember I have seen two reasons mentioned:
    1. they follow Yggaz's advice which points north west and talks about one of the best, so they end up searching the cave, trying to find out what's this best about
    2. they think it's the main dungeon of the game, because the village elder/druid talks about some place to the west. The druid actually says to cross the river, so maybe it's the elder the main source of confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    The basic premise of these guys is kinda strange -
    You know, something like that already happens in Dwarftown

Quote Originally Posted by szopin View Post
    I really love the fact people come up with cool quest ideas that are not just kill x for y. I'd love for those guys to show upat d50 though if you went lawful so one can do actual teamplay (let them die like flies, still would be epic charge of forces of good on the gate, that said reclaim DH could also be implemented with a team of fighter dwarves that try to help you).
    +1 to more epic adventuring with an epic team (as long as the other members are fast enough to catch up with you)

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Okay, here's my attempt at an epic level quest that I call "The Adventure Party". Spoiled for brevity.
    Whilst a lot of the stuff is nice I think it has too many false choices in it. Every time there's a good/neutral/evil choice there is really no reason to choose other than good. If anything I think the good path should be harder and less rewarding. But Lightbringer vs an essence of chaos sword? Pay 5k gold vs 1 holy water with better rewards?

So I'd maybe tweak it to have the evil potion option give you a free blessed PoGA as well (leftover blood innit, blood). The chaos artifact would be bracers or a bow or something, and just as desirable as the good artifact, with no in-built corruption. We have enough junky corruption artifacts in the game.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Whilst a lot of the stuff is nice I think it has too many false choices in it. Every time there's a good/neutral/evil choice there is really no reason to choose other than good. If anything I think the good path should be harder and less rewarding. But Lightbringer vs an essence of chaos sword? Pay 5k gold vs 1 holy water with better rewards?
    Many PCs don't have access to Jharod. For most PCs, the choice is between a lost PoCC and gain in rewards or 5k gold and no rewards. But I suppose in principle there's no reason it couldn't be PoCC for Jharod, something like PoEH for neutral, and 5k gold for chaotic or whatever. For the final quest, getting Souldrinker already requires considerably less work and doesn't require Smithing. Essence of Chaos is not a big deal for endgame PCs, anyway. It might add a corruption or two more than you'd have otherwise by the time you get around to winning, but probably not much more than that. But there's no reason you can't stack more bonuses on it if needed, I suppose.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yes, I agree the stats on Souldrinker are worth Essence of Chaos. It's vampiric and deals very high damage (with high crit rate), thatīs a very potent combination. I guess it could maybe be boosted a bit further with a bonus to backstabbing?
    Getting smithing to skill level 100 for lightbringer takes considerable work. Having to descend the rift a second time and climbing all the way to the celestial forge (and dealing with its inhabitants) does, too. For me this would be a real choice, not a false one.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.