Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy of beauty and corruption

Also, I'll note that Ap is the perfect stat for this because it is the only one where these choices really appear. There are very few corruptions that impact Ch significantly (a few at two, which is barely anything, one at four and one at six [but paired with -6 Ap]) and no actually used items that affect Ch significantly. Vice versa, there's very few items (and they're usually rarer) that positively impact Ch, whereas anyone can scrollsmith a cloak of adornment to +2 PV easily. All other stats already have many uses and so this wouldn't significantly affect the choice you were already going to make.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    I actually LOVE the idea because of the exciting implications (although sami's suggestion to make it affect how much corruption you accrue, in order to avoid all sorts of hairy situations, must be implemented for this to work). Do you now clear the "grow 10 additional eyes" corruption? The -15 Ap prehensile tentacles corruption (which is currently awesome on non-spellcasting classes)? Is it worth it to wear the AMW into the most corrupting levels of the CoC, where you are (as of p21) supposedly more likely to randomly encounter monsters that cast death ray? Do you play that orc or do you pick a race with better Ap? It's a pretty exciting change that adds a new line of thought to what you do or don't do in character creation/the late game, which is kind of lacking in such decisions currently.
    Not really arguing about whether the mechanics work or not. I think they're cool. It's the theming that most people have an issue with. I was asking if you actually like the theming of pretty = harder to corrupt, or you just don't care / dislike that people dislike it.

I do support a rewrite of the manual's description of appearance (to some extent - after all, you have to incorporate the corruption change), but I think people are also worrying WAY too much about "inner beauty", "outer beauty", "beauty = good", and all sorts of dumb things that people will only care about when the suggestion is talked about, not when they read about the mechanic in the game.
    You mean it's dumb because you wouldn't, and don't, care about it. I care about it, and I will care about it when it's in the game. So will others commenting. You can't tell people "you won't care about this" when they are saying they do :/

Here's what I don't get:

- we already know the manual entry will need to be adjusted
    - the primary issue is one of flavor
    - it's easy to change the flavor when changing the manual, when that already needs to happen

So it seems like a win-win to:

- keep the mechanic (b/c it adds cool decisions and new stuff)
    - leave the name of the stat alone (b/c I imagine that would require risky code changes, so probably never going to happen)
    - change the description of the stat so that people who are bothered by it aren't (or less so)

The people who were never going to care, won't care about this either. The people who will feel better about it.

To put it another way, SirTheta, you seem more concerned with giving reasons why people should just stop complaining than with reasons for not making some minor lore changes, at least in the manual, which is a very easy change to make.

Commenting just to attack other people's comments is not helpful. Talk about the subject matter instead of picking fights.

Don't make me get my mod-stick out... :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I am totally fine with "being beautiful" = "harder to corrupt" and see no indictment of "ugly" people (IRL or what have you) / reinforcement of societal beauty norms inherent in the current description or a revamped version of such that includes the corruption resistance. It's a fantasy game in a medieval setting and there are plenty of things that could be taken out of context to create some sort of uncomfortable situation in the real world (such as all the animals you kill). You just have to take the game's reality as what it is - the game's reality - and not try to compare it too much to that with which you are familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by michailv View Post
    You mean it's dumb because you wouldn't, and don't, care about it. I care about it, and I will care about it when it's in the game. So will others commenting. You can't tell people "you won't care about this" when they are saying they do :/
    The people who were never going to care, won't care about this either. The people who will feel better about it.
    No, what I'm saying is that this strikes me as something people REALLY care about in the discussion stage, but don't care nearly as much about once it's actually in the game.

Obviously what the stat represents has to be changed, but I find all this pitter-patter about "inner beauty" and stuff off the mark. Why can't ChAoS care about what people look like? As TB has posted, there's plenty to support this attitude being adopted.
    Last edited by SirTheta; 01-10-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I could seriously see an argument for *all* stats in some way lessening corruption. Notably St, Wi, To, Ap, and Ma can be seen as stats that could directly fight against the forces of ChAoS.

Not Dx?

Mana should make you more corruptible!
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I don't think that the manual needs to be changed. Chaos is mysterious.
    Make a fortune cookie instead.

or tell some story somewhere about two brothers, the ugly one falling for chaos, the beautiful one eventually slaying him. Something like that.

As we have seen no one is really sure how corruption stands to alignment, but for sure they are not parallel. Game evidence is as with many other matters sparse and cryptic. I am not sure what TB's ideas are on this, he has not said so, and I don't think he wants to. But as said - for the player and the game world, corruption is a mysterious evil.

I am also a bit concerned that in every late game, due to only a few corrputions, I reach the threshold of being beyond hope in terms of appearance, because corruptions have such brutal effects on it. Maybe some adjustment is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Not Dx?
    Depends on how ChAoS works. If there are hard to see ChAoS tendrils/clouds that drift around and get more and more frequent/dense the closer you get to the gate, then Pe an Dx would be super useful too=P

Clearly the higher the sum of your stats is, the more ChAoS resistant you should be, making stat scumming CKs one of the most ChAoS resistant once they get their class skills? Seems totally fitting to me XD