Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuurag again

Default Nuurag again

This time mr. Nuurag decided to blast Alwyia, the female mist-elven bard, causing more than 300 hitpoints of damage with one shot. Alwyia was at her max HP at the time, but unfortunately that max HP was somewhere around 250, even though she was at the exp. level 32, and had trained her toughness to 23, over double of her original maximum. Her alertness was over 95 also, as high as it could get at this level.

"Blasted by Nuurag-Varn."

Well.. that's it for me playing any more mist elves I guess. If Nuurag can just decide to one-hit them from distance if he so chooses, it seems kind of pointless to spend a day or two in getting them as far, just to take this gamble. Yes, I am bitter. She had a very tough early and middle game that she managed to overcome, and had found the Bracers of War among other goodies. Oh well...
    Last edited by Utnapishtim; 01-12-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: grammar

Do you have items that reduce the damage from his attack?

I don't know, which probably means I didn't. Which are those items?

I think it's a Death Ray, so most notably Ancient Mummy Wrapping. Also, remembering that it's a bolt, so standing offset from the 8 targetable directions helps if you wanna get into a shooting match with him, or an IFB/+2range Acid Ball match. Door usage can also help with that, especially if you wanna Ball Spell him safely.

I think this wasn't a death ray. The aforementioned bracers of war also grant resistance, and the message when you die that way is "was extinguished by -foo-".
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I think this wasn't a death ray. The aforementioned bracers of war also grant resistance, and the message when you die that way is "was extinguished by -foo-".
    Are you sure? When you have death ray resistance, being hit still deals damage. Could it be possible that being killed by death ray damage results in a different message than being slain outright?

And I thought having more than one source of death ray resistance doesn't help?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Alwyia was wearing the Bracers of War and also had an amulet of death ray resistance around her neck. No idea if the damage would have been even greater without this double resistance.

Isn't 'blasted' the word used when killed by his cold attack though?

Ah, that's probably it then. Her skin was too sensitive to wear the elemental gauntlets, but the resistance could of course have been arranged by other means, if I had known it was needed. Live and learn. YASD.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Are you sure? When you have death ray resistance, being hit still deals damage.
    Not 300 HP in one shot though, a resisted death ray causes somewhere between 80 and 150 damage in my experience. If she was missing an elemental resistance, an uber-bolt seems the likely explanation.
    "And light there be!"