Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it...

Not to the ground, but to the dot
    Me is troll, me is moomintroll! Me likes ADoM... Me likes Dwarf Fortress... Dis two games is the ones best!

Oh, me likes zombies too!

hmm.. i wonder about just plain dark rooms.. "You see an are with empy spaces"... talking about leting players to use their imagination..

I'm a Dungeon Master in a D&D pencil and paper game right now. I very much agree with you on the fruity classes, the manual calculations, and the dice, dice and more dice. The Publisher of those books publish plenty, and characters want as much choice as possible. As a DM, I don't feel right restricting where they get their characters little abilities and weapons and items from, because I don't feel I would have a very good case denying them access to this or that book or books.

But now I'm stuck with 5 way out there players. A Neraph (race) Master-Thrower/Rouge from the plane of limbo, a Warforged Fighter/Paragon/somethingelse with abilities that work so well together I feel like someone's cheating sometimes, a Human (yay! Human! I know what that is!) Factotum (class), and a wizard of some sort.

Its also nice (not really) that when a new book comes out, it has got a brand new set of new races, new classes, new special abilities, and new spells to have to deal with.

Insert brain crash here.

I'd LOVE to see a ADOM RPG that was like D&D but used things ONLY from ADOM. I don't mind complex basic rules as long as the far out stuff (spells, races, etc) follow suit and don't try to always come up with their own rules for stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterSkittles View Post
    I'm a Dungeon Master in a D&D pencil and paper game right now. I very much agree with you on the fruity classes, the manual calculations, and the dice, dice and more dice. The Publisher of those books publish plenty, and characters want as much choice as possible. As a DM, I don't feel right restricting where they get their characters little abilities and weapons and items from, because I don't feel I would have a very good case denying them access to this or that book or books.

But now I'm stuck with 5 way out there players. A Neraph (race) Master-Thrower/Rouge from the plane of limbo, a Warforged Fighter/Paragon/somethingelse with abilities that work so well together I feel like someone's cheating sometimes, a Human (yay! Human! I know what that is!) Factotum (class), and a wizard of some sort.

Its also nice (not really) that when a new book comes out, it has got a brand new set of new races, new classes, new special abilities, and new spells to have to deal with.

Insert brain crash here.

I'd LOVE to see a ADOM RPG that was like D&D but used things ONLY from ADOM. I don't mind complex basic rules as long as the far out stuff (spells, races, etc) follow suit and don't try to always come up with their own rules for stuff.
    I prety much agree with everything here. Ive had the same problems, but luckily my players arent that keen on something very exotic.. or if they are.. usually the whole group goes to the same direction so its not that hard for the brains.. Luckily the curent group has a dwarf fetish and wanted to go with warhammer ruleset.. which is one of my favorites, even with its weakneses

I've been "dungeon master" and player for many good years, so I can share some experience...
    having 4-6 players around a table is a completely different game, nothing to do with ADOM because of the interaction - rivalry - plots between the players.
    The MD is at the helmsman but he is not running the ship himself! Or sometimes he is only the wind in the sails...

D&D is a fantastic way to start because it is a balanced system (if the DM is doing his job)
    You soon hit limitations and frustrations though, too many rules to learn and apply... you soon find out that your players know more than they should to enjoy the experience and story.

Why not follow the true path?
    Create your own ruleset and world!

Use your best player(s) for testing, create the rules, the world, the background from scrath and from the games / campaigns you have enjoyed as a player and DM. Less roll dices, less rules overall and more accuracy where you like it - I remember creating the following bits with high satisfaction from the players and myself:
    a critical hits table to be able to add gory descriptions to fights and end them faster than normal D&D ones, complete with disabilities, maiming and recovery so that players think before they run into a fight
    a ruleset for the use of magic based on extracting magic from the magic used (exhausting) or the environment (depleting it) at the user's choice and possibilities (magic schools, training)... so that the power of wizards does not overcome that of others

Begin with refining and cutting out what is blunt / frustrating in D&D, that is the first step toward creative bliss.

Enjoy the satisfaction of Thomas Himself as being "The Creator"

Too complicated and combat-oriented RPGs suck... They're not about combat with fancy rulesets and tactical options that take hours, it's about characters and fuckin ROLEPLAYING. When you can pretend that you're someone else, combat just isn't the most interesting thing (it's still interesting though). Nowadays computers can make more detailed combats then people with dice, but real humans can act better NPCs then computers easily. Computers also have no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars View Post
    Too complicated and combat-oriented RPGs suck... They're not about combat with fancy rulesets and tactical options that take hours, it's about characters and fuckin ROLEPLAYING. When you can pretend that you're someone else, combat just isn't the most interesting thing (it's still interesting though). Nowadays computers can make more detailed combats then people with dice, but real humans can act better NPCs then computers easily. Computers also have no imagination.
    I'm kind of the opposite on this one. Role Playing is OK to me and I've certainly had characters I've liked to talk with, but for the most part role playing should set the backdrop for a story as opposed to it being the dominating part of the game. For me, too much roleplaying means the most talkative players run the game whereas the rest of the table plays with their dice and stacks them in piles and stuff.

For me, I approached D&D like it was a miniatures wargame with added perks. Keep on the Borderlands? The Lost City? They were pointless but I had a lot of fun playing them!

Both play styles probably work great if they're done right. I'm betting a 'combat' style is the style of choice if groups have a fair amount of fatalities, since role playing a character for an hour who then dies 15 minutes into their first dungeon is pretty demoralizing. But either way, it takes a certain kind of DM and group to successfully pull off each one.

I do agree that with you combat has to be kept simple. Anyone here play Advanced Squad Leader? Damn...
    I am averaging one win for every 10 years of play.

I know this thread is old, but i just have to say one thing...Cyberpunk.

Great game, much more fatal than normal D&D, it can take as long, or as short, as you want to make a character, and almost every roll made while playing uses a d10. D6's are used sparingly. Its great for roleplaying (If you accept the possibility of first session death), combats are about how you enter them, not how strong your character is (a good ambush can mean life or death, for ex.), and the game is set up in such a way that its hard to NOT stop a player when he's out of line. Directly quoted (more or less) from the rulebook, "Your players are getting out of line? Then just waste 'em = its the Cyberpunk way"

Its not in print anymore, so youd have to purchase it online, but its a great game system for those interested. For the setting, like the name, think extremely corrupt/dangerous Steampunk (like Ghost in the Shell, among others). Its great fun!
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Hi, i found this table in the Improved Adom Guidebook :
    Code:
    Race	St	Le	Wi	Dx	To	Ch	Ap	Ma	Pe	Total	Xp
    DarkElf	9	10	12	15	9	7	12	16	13	+13	1.2
    Drakel.	13	10	12	9	13	10	8	10	9	+ 6	1.2
    Dwarf	12	11	11	9	13	9	9	10	11	+5	1.2
    Gnome	9	11	9	12	11	12	10	14	11	+9	0.9
    GrayElf	10	13	10	14	7	8	18	15	14	+19	1.2
    HighElf	10	13	9	15	8	10	14	13	14	+16	1.2
    Human	10	12	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	+2	1
    Hurth.	6	10	10	15	12	12	10	8	10	+3	0.95
    Orc	14	8	10	10	13	8	7	6	8	-6	1.2
    Troll	18	5	8	8	18	6	5	6	7	-9	3
    Has someone managed, what the Total value is used for?

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Has someone managed, what the Total value is used for?
    It just tells how many points there are more or less compared to a all-10-stat set. Nothing used by the game AFAIK, just a way to compare the races' stats.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].