Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Adom Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Use one wish for "potions of water" (plural form!) and bless that water on a nearby altar.
    You can bless water by dipping them into holy water - no need for an altar. Except if you want to have as much holy water as possible, then you will save some water when using an altar.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

it is DL8 you liar... I will skip my comments on lesser nonsense in your post.
    Last edited by Soirana; 07-07-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    it is DL8 you lier... I will skip my comments on lesser nonsense in your post.
    Y'know, I do recall reading that it was D8 somewhere... hmm.
    So anyway, how did y'all work out that it was D8+ needed? Trial and error is my current guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    Y'know, I do recall reading that it was D8 somewhere... hmm.
    So anyway, how did y'all work out that it was D8+ needed? Trial and error is my current guess...
    I would hazard that this information was originally code-dived: most DL info probably is. At this point, it's basically common knowledge though...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Honestly all the danger level concept smell very like a code dive... That one was at least adopted as "good" info.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

> Honestly all the danger level concept smell very like a code dive...

Agreed.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    it is DL8 you liar... I will skip my comments on lesser nonsense in your post.
    O_O didn know or remembered wrong or sth

Ok, well, at least I tried
    And for me it works pretty good whenever I need a wish engine...

About the danger level thing: you could also call it peace level right? Scrolls of danger/peace? From there it's only a small step to guess what it actually does. And from there one can find out where ring dipping is most effective.

Right?
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

the only evaluation on ring dipping i know is d8 vs dwarven halls.

in my searches i never saw any non code dived info putting some ground fro whole danger level thing.

So my answer is Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    O_O didn know or remembered wrong or sth

Ok, well, at least I tried
    And for me it works pretty good whenever I need a wish engine...

About the danger level thing: you could also call it peace level right? Scrolls of danger/peace? From there it's only a small step to guess what it actually does. And from there one can find out where ring dipping is most effective.

Right?
    I think the problem is just setting up a legitimate test of this would be pretty tedious. At very least, you would already need a wish engine (or AdomBot). Start with like 200 pots of exchange, dip rings into them, record what you get (you would need a huge number of pots to be sure that you aren't missing something very rare). Read scroll of danger. Repeat with 200 more pots. This should give you a decent idea of how it works (assuming that scrolls of danger only increase the danger level by 1, which, I don't believe is true). But very, very tedious. And that's only for one type of item.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I think the problem is just setting up a legitimate test of this would be pretty tedious. At very least, you would already need a wish engine (or AdomBot). Start with like 200 pots of exchange, dip rings into them, record what you get (you would need a huge number of pots to be sure that you aren't missing something very rare). Read scroll of danger. Repeat with 200 more pots. This should give you a decent idea of how it works (assuming that scrolls of danger only increase the danger level by 1, which, I don't believe is true). But very, very tedious. And that's only for one type of item.
    You are making excuses.

The problem applies to a lot of information here.

A "clean" (whatever that means) guidebook that has no code-dived or otherwise cheated (for example adombot... sorry, its not really different from what we call codediving here: you take a look (read and/or write) at ADOM's memory, its just that its done in an automated way.) info in it, but is missing a few interesting things (such as that =oDS are best generated at D8)? Or would you rather like it the other way around?

I really don't get this whole fuss. I think this "no codediving" goes in the wrong direction.

Maybe the rule should be rephrased as "if it can't be figured out without looking at ADOM's internals, its not allowed". Which on purpose does not specify how it was actually figured out.

Another question: why should using savescumming to test things be legitimate? Thats not how the game works, therefore you can't just reload the char 100 times to check chances for things to happen. Right?

Or, why should using a wish engine be legitimate? Thats not how the game is intended to work, is it? Right?

It's a slippery slope that goes all the way from "whatever you want" to "i erase my brain when i start a new char"...

For things that can not be figured out, even given enough time, ok, I can understand that. But I don't see why anyone should invest time when there are more efficient ways to get that information?

Of course it's Ascyrons project and not mine, but what I said is just what I think.

Ascyron, it might be nice if you could write some kind of Charta for your wiki, about what is allowed and what is not, where the border is. Codediving? Memory editing? Adombot and other forms of automated memory editing? Patching the ADOM binary? Savescumming? Wish engines? Scumming (stairhopping for example)? Automated testing based on adoms output (= autoroller)?

EDIT: What about this: include all info in the wiki/wherever, but mark it as illegitimate if it is (use some template for that. maybe make it a bit like a spoiler tag so that it "hides" the text until you highlight it or something. That way everyone can read the whole thing if he wants, but does not "have to".).

For purists, theres also a special version of the guidebook that does not contain *any* spoilers.
    Last edited by Epythic; 07-07-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/