Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Adom Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Technical question for you Ascaron: I've edited a few articles on your wiki and added in some typical stats for a few of the NPCs the player might need to kill. Do you think these are fine how I've listed them, or would you prefer them added into the table on the side?

For generic monsters, most stats are probably too variable to establish since things like danger level and number killed will have an effect. I think that speed is fixed (to within +/- a few percent) for all monsters at the least, though.
    The stat seem fine as and where they are.
    Just mention if doing stats for non-unique monsters that they DO level up and can be far more powerful if encountered on lower dungeon levels. Also, you might need to mention that certain monsters increase in power as you do, so can be a lot more dangerous then their starting stats show.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    i am probably utter stupid but somehow i can't get my hands on your text...

Looks like:
    Code:
    ==Main Features==

{{{Features}}}
    With my limited experience i can only guess you putted Edit link to template instead of text or something like that.

Edit: Well, i sorted things but Edit links are not working properly anyway.

Edit2: do all us favour start calling altars altars not alters.

Yeah, for some reason when you attempt to edit a subsection it goes to that...
    The main edit link at the top of the page does work, though

And sorry about the altar thing. That's how we spell it over here, so... yeah.
    I'll try stop using that.

I find it impossible to edit anything - it keeps giving me just templates to edit, even if I use the link at the top. And whatever software this site uses is horribly cumbersome and slow.

I must say that personally I don't like the style of it so far - instead of dry facts it's full of imprecise statements, often in broken and confused English. If it were more fact-based then the broken grammar wouldn't be such a problem. The TotRR states 3 times that the artifact is very much recommended for ultras - only once is it mentioned that it's *necessary*, and it's not properly explained why. It's spends far more time talking about how to get it (which should really just be a separate article on ultras) than about the item itself. I think effort should be more focused on getting simple facts into the wiki - greater identifications for items, stethoscope analysis of monsters, and results of real testing (properly sourced).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

at least i deleted three times mentioning any char must should get it...

I actually agree with Grey about style. Few times i wished to delete whole thing and write from scratch. All these poetry entries like assassins in bandit village do not help either.

Darren, try hitting button in lower part [like help wiki my editing page]. That was the only one i got working.
    Surprisingly. irc, in previous version edit's were working okay.

As testing results... I guess by so far you should know how much usual guys here are testing.

I am not intended to post mine results so far.
    Last edited by Soirana; 07-09-2009 at 03:22 AM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I find it impossible to edit anything - it keeps giving me just templates to edit, even if I use the link at the top. And whatever software this site uses is horribly cumbersome and slow.

I must say that personally I don't like the style of it so far - instead of dry facts it's full of imprecise statements, often in broken and confused English. If it were more fact-based then the broken grammar wouldn't be such a problem. The TotRR states 3 times that the artifact is very much recommended for ultras - only once is it mentioned that it's *necessary*, and it's not properly explained why. It's spends far more time talking about how to get it (which should really just be a separate article on ultras) than about the item itself. I think effort should be more focused on getting simple facts into the wiki - greater identifications for items, stethoscope analysis of monsters, and results of real testing (properly sourced).
    I've been using templates for the pages, as it provides an easier way of creating and editing large amounts at once, which was my main priority - to get everything I could up there.

Also, I note that while you are complaining about the broken english, Soirana says:

All these poetry entries like assassins in bandit village do not help either.
    You say not enough style, he says it's too much.

I've been doing what I can to improve the broken English (which, I dare say, is mostly not mine), but that does require time. And time is the one thing I don't have enough of.

As I've said before, my current aim is to turn it into something semi-viewable. That means no red links, anywhere. A collection of stubs is what I'm going for, I guess. Then, once you can actually navigate your way around the site, I intend to start collecting more solid facts, for example stethoscope information and greater identify.

Would you prefer that I work more on the details such as GI information then the overall picture to make it into a coherent site? If so, I'm willing to start on that.

Also, with what you said re there being too much information on how to get the ToTRR, not enough on the actual ToTRR... what information would you see added?
    I'll think about transferring the majority of the info on how to obtain it to a seperate article...

As testing results... I guess by so far you should know how much usual guys here are testing.
    What's that supposed to mean?

Completely separate note:
    Currently I'm working on a overview of the CoC. I'm missing some details, EG information on what level the Eternal Guardian can be found on, and that will need to be done. Like I said, a small-scale overview of everything is the first aim, followed by extensive details. I can't do everything at once, though it appears I'm being asked to...
    Last edited by Ascaron; 07-09-2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Oops. Missed a ]

i suggest at least avoiding nonsense should be between prime targets.

You really do not know forge is dungeon feature?

Edit: and i guess me and Grey actually agree about style > Less confusing poetry more facts.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

> And time is the one thing I don't have enough of.

Now your begining sentences with conjunctions and
    ending them with prepositions...

: D
    *joking*
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

i suggest at least avoiding nonsense should be between prime targets.

You really do not know forge is dungeon feature?

Edit: and i guess me and Grey actually agree about style > Less confusing poetry more facts.
    I do know forges are dungeon features. I just don't have a perfect memory, especially when writing at 3am (when I recall that article was made). It slipped my mind.
    And yes, I already know to use less of that "poetry", as you call it, and more blunt harsh language. Lawenilothehl was one of the first articles I wrote, when I was still experimenting with style.
    It was, I recall, the only article I wrote like that. It was too annoying to write, and harder to read as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > And time is the one thing I don't have enough of.

Now your begining sentences with conjunctions and
    ending them with prepositions...

: D
    *joking*
    Because I have a lack of time, I'm not worrying about the specifics of my grammar on the forums, merely that I get my point across. I think I managed that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    As I've said before, my current aim is to turn it into something semi-viewable. That means no red links, anywhere. A collection of stubs is what I'm going for, I guess. Then, once you can actually navigate your way around the site, I intend to start collecting more solid facts, for example stethoscope information and greater identify.

Would you prefer that I work more on the details such as GI information then the overall picture to make it into a coherent site? If so, I'm willing to start on that.
    I think both myself and Soirana are of the opinion that the prose text shouldn't be there at all. If it's not you writing it then fine, guess you can't help it. Not much point trying to mop it up now - just carry on making stubs. A collection of stubs is what I meant when I said get just the basics like GI info (which you can copy from the Guidebook easily and list that as a source).

If you're having a problem with people adding in wrong info or bad advice in broken English (as seems to be severely the case) then i'd recommend allowing only registered users to edit and giving a guidance on editing when they sign up. Or perhaps such a guidance should show every time one goes to edit. Just something saying not to post without sources and not to post subjective information.

Also, with what you said re there being too much information on how to get the ToTRR, not enough on the actual ToTRR... what information would you see added?
    Well, remove the nonsense about it being a "good idea" for ultras - it's fecking required. Certainly worth noting that it's a good weapon somewhere, and excellent for slaying Andy with, and you have to be wielding it when he dies to get an ultra. Could be worth noting that fallen champions can't get it. All the nonsense about how to save Khelly and do the various subquests could be condensed down to:

1. Save Khelavaster by giving him an amulet of life saving.
    2. Complete Blue Dragon quest.
    3. Complete Filk quest given by assassin prince (must be level 45+).
    4. Kill emperor moloch in scintillating cave (location given by Mad Minstrel) and retrieve crumpled scroll.
    5. Give crumpled scroll to the invisible Khelevaster in Terinyo. Must be neutral or lawful and not a fallen champion.

These points could link to individual articles on sidequests where necessary. It's silly that you'd have to scroll through the faffy text in place at the moment just to find the weapon's stats. Like I said before, this should be a data centre, not a guide. Sorry to moan at you about this, but at the moment the wiki seems to be really losing its course. It may be best for you to just carry on adding stuff and worry about this sort of thing later.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

I think both myself and Soirana are of the opinion that the prose text shouldn't be there at all. If it's not you writing it then fine, guess you can't help it. Not much point trying to mop it up now - just carry on making stubs. A collection of stubs is what I meant when I said get just the basics like GI info (which you can copy from the Guidebook easily and list that as a source).

If you're having a problem with people adding in wrong info or bad advice in broken English (as seems to be severely the case) then i'd recommend allowing only registered users to edit and giving a guidance on editing when they sign up. Or perhaps such a guidance should show every time one goes to edit. Just something saying not to post without sources and not to post subjective information.
    A style guide or editing help guide is a very good idea. The problem is, as I've said before, I'm learning as I go. I don't know how I would do that, and currently don't have time to find out.

I view the broken English as a fairly low priority though. It may be cumbersome, but it does provide the necessary information, and we can always come back later and rewrite.

Oh and, for now I'm refusing to copy from the GB, as Andy hasn't given permission. I believe that the few people helping me edit the wiki know this, and are following the same plan.

Well, remove the nonsense about it being a "good idea" for ultras - it's fecking required. Certainly worth noting that it's a good weapon somewhere, and excellent for slaying Andy with, and you have to be wielding it when he dies to get an ultra. Could be worth noting that fallen champions can't get it. All the nonsense about how to save Khelly and do the various subquests could be condensed down to:

1. Save Khelavaster by giving him an amulet of life saving.
    2. Complete Blue Dragon quest.
    3. Complete Filk quest given by assassin prince (must be level 45+).
    4. Kill emperor moloch in scintillating cave (location given by Mad Minstrel) and retrieve crumpled scroll.
    5. Give crumpled scroll to the invisible Khelevaster in Terinyo. Must be neutral or lawful and not a fallen champion.

These points could link to individual articles on sidequests where necessary. It's silly that you'd have to scroll through the faffy text in place at the moment just to find the weapon's stats. Like I said before, this should be a data centre, not a guide. Sorry to moan at you about this, but at the moment the wiki seems to be really losing its course. It may be best for you to just carry on adding stuff and worry about this sort of thing later.
    I have to wander off to work for a couple hours soon, I've made a note that when I get back I'll do some work on the ToTRR article, including making a sub-article for how to get it.
    Also, I'm nearly finished with my CoC article That should be going live tonight, with its small amounts of info on each special level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    Oh and, for now I'm refusing to copy from the GB, as Andy hasn't given permission. I believe that the few people helping me edit the wiki know this, and are following the same plan.
    Have you asked him? As long as it's just data being copied from tables rather than prose text I imagine he'd be fine with it. After all it's just in-game info, and there's no sense duplicating the research. The Guidebook would obviously be credited as a source on the appropriate pages too (I assume the wiki has the usual referencing features).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer