Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adom Wiki

Hybrid View

Default Adom Wiki

As some of you may already know, I've started working on one of the Adom Wiki's, trying to turn it into a real helpsite, something that more then one person a year will visit.

I'm starting off simple, with basic places/people/quests and the like. Once I have a good coverage of the basics, I'm going to start going through all the old threads on these forums and liberally copying information across (rewording where required).
    The thing is, I don't want to steal your work if you aren't happy with it.

So, if you're happy for me to indiscriminately troll through the forums (fishing-troll, not internet-troll) and copy any and all of your posts that are useful, please sign your name here.
    I wont use information by anyone who hasn't expressly said here that they are okay having their hard work copied.

Side notes:
    1) I would love if some of you chose to help me get the wiki off the ground, but I honestly don't expect you to. There's no point in you wasting your time until you know that this won't be just an idea that fizzles out a week from now.
    2) After I've done the basics (which may take me a week or more, depending on how distracted I am by actually playing the game ), I'll probably start using this thread to ask questions. If you answer it on here, you are agreeing to be copied.
    3) It might help if you had a URL, so you know which wiki I'm working on: http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    4) If you're Andy Williams, and you're cool with me copying from the GB... please say so! I would love if I could copy from you, it would make my life so much easier (no more hurried trips to the Water Dragon Cave to see just how Sssyrac.. I mean, Shysisixrix... I mean, Srssxryx... I mean, Blups Mommy's name is spelt)
    Last edited by Ascaron; 07-02-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Edited to update URL of the Wiki

What is your expectation of how much of the guide book is spoilers, and how much is not?

For example, in the skills section, under "Courage" you mention specifically that it is found somewhere in the game.

How should the information about the barbarian be linked from here?

A) It shouldn't - that's a spoiler and you don't do spoilers (No spoilers)
    B) The courage skill description should say "you learn it from the old barbarian", and "old barbarian" links to the page on him. (Full spoilers)
    C) The courage skill description says "You can find out how to learn it 'here'", and "here" is a link to the "old barbarian" page. (Optional spoilers)

C is kind of the nicest - it gives nothing away to those who wish to be unspoiled about quests, but is the most work to keep up consistently across the wiki.

What is your info criteria?

just paste basic mistakes from somewhere? Cause i clicked first availbale page and saw old wrong info like Alertness giving +4DV on skill 100...
    Yes, i am a troll

Edit: from piety section i see you are fine with code diving?
    Last edited by Soirana; 06-27-2009 at 05:20 AM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

You're free to take anything you want that I've written. I can't promise that it is useful, accurate, or properly sourced. There's been the odd thing that I've tested that I suppose might be worth throwing in, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
    just paste basic mistakes from somewhere? Cause i clicked first availbale page and saw old wrong info like Alertness giving +4DV on skill 100...
    I would assume that this was taken directly from the manual, which is, with a few exceptions (notably this one...) pretty accurate.

For the author, a few suggestions:

-A lot of the information in the wiki seems to be lifted directly from the Guidebook. Without Andy Williams' permission, I think this content should probably be purged.
    -The links on the sidebar aren't really organized in a sensible way. Pretty much everything there is really just character information, and there isn't any clear way to access quest/location information, for example. I think it is probably a good idea to figure out how you want everything organized before you start writing too many articles.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 06-27-2009 at 04:57 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Thumbs up

Good luck on this one! I think its good that somebody is willing to sac insane amounts of time and work to help new players or anyone who needs help on the game! Even tho there is the guidebook i think its very nice that there is another source of information if either goes down for some reason. And for that matter anything useful i have posted here (if any ) you are free to use. And again good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    What is your expectation of how much of the guide book is spoilers, and how much is not?

For example, in the skills section, under "Courage" you mention specifically that it is found somewhere in the game.

How should the information about the barbarian be linked from here?

A) It shouldn't - that's a spoiler and you don't do spoilers (No spoilers)
    B) The courage skill description should say "you learn it from the old barbarian", and "old barbarian" links to the page on him. (Full spoilers)
    C) The courage skill description says "You can find out how to learn it 'here'", and "here" is a link to the "old barbarian" page. (Optional spoilers)

C is kind of the nicest - it gives nothing away to those who wish to be unspoiled about quests, but is the most work to keep up consistently across the wiki.
    The problem with a Wiki is, for it to be useful the spoilers have to be *somewhere*... for now, I'm leaning toward every page being as complete as possible, IE the Courage page will tell you ways to learn Courage, and the Old Barbarian page will tell you that he can teach you Courage.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    What is your info criteria?

Yes, i am a troll

Edit: from piety section i see you are fine with code diving?
    So far, I haven't done any work on any of the skills. Whatever you see there was done by DirtyFinger back in 2008. I'll be reworking that sometime when I get time.

Also, wtf? What piety section? I certainly didn't do that, as yet I haven't used ANY code-dived info (and I doubt I will be using any).
    If absolutely necessary, I will use old code-dived info (like all the old info in the GB)... but I would really really prefer not to.
    Practical tests > code-diving, anyday.

EDIT: I've taken a look at the Piety page. Please note the "Clefaria made an edit on 27 May 2008".
    More then a year ago.
    I've only been editing this for around 2 weeks now...

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    For the author, a few suggestions:

-A lot of the information in the wiki seems to be lifted directly from the Guidebook. Without Andy Williams' permission, I think this content should probably be purged.
    -The links on the sidebar aren't really organized in a sensible way. Pretty much everything there is really just character information, and there isn't any clear way to access quest/location information, for example. I think it is probably a good idea to figure out how you want everything organized before you start writing too many articles.
    1) My next priority (after the weekend) is to remove any GB-sourced information from the wiki.
    2) So far, I haven't found out how to edit the sidebar * When I do work it out, I'll be adding things like "places" and "quests" to it, with say the 10 most referenced places (Dwarftown, D:50, ToEF spring to mind) and the 10 most-asked-about quests (maybe Filk, Old Barbarian, Blue Dragon Caves quest and the like?). I've put all that to the side until I know how to do it, though...
    Last edited by Ascaron; 06-27-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added information on Piety

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    Practical tests > code-diving, anyday.
    Well, it's less reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Well, it's less reliable.
    Sometimes, sometimes not.
    I don't believe code-dived info at all, ever, unless it has been tested and checked ingame. *cough* Girdle of Weight in the IGB *cough*

If I have ever written something useful, by all means use it.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    4) If you're Andy Williams, and you're cool with me copying from the GB... please say so! I would love if I could copy from you, it would make my life so much easier (no more hurried trips to the Water Dragon Cave to see just how Sssyrac.. I mean, Shysisixrix... I mean, Srssxryx... I mean, Blups Mommy's name is spelt)
    Nobody will give a damn if you copy Shyssyrixius' name (hopefully I didn't go too far from the real name ) from the GB.